If you're proud of your company's achievements, you owe it to yourself (and to your employees) to apply for the 5000 list.
To qualify for the 2017 Inc. 5000, your company must meet each of the following qualifications:
Be privately-owned, based in the United States, independent (not a subsidiary or division of another company)
Have started earning revenue by March 31st, 2013
Had revenue no less than $100,000 in 2013
Had revenue no less than $2,000,000 in 2016
Revenue in 2016 exceeds revenue in 2013
There are a few limited exceptions to the requirements. Please call our team with any questions about eligibility at 212-389-5505.
Applying is easy, and the benefits are many:
National Recognition: Exposure in national, local and industry media. Your own profile on Inc.com.
Greater Productivity: Boost employee morale. Improve recruiting opportunities. Share ideas with fellow honorees.
Sales Advantages: Stronger sales momentum. Credibility with prospects and investors you can't buy at any price.
In 1982, Inc. introduced the Inc. 500 list of the fastest-growing privately held companies in the United States. Since then, this prestigious list of the nation's most successful private companies has become the hallmark of entrepreneurial success and the place where future household names first make their mark. Pandora, 7 Eleven, Toys 'R' Us, Zipcar, Zappos.com and numerous other well-known brands have been honored by the Inc. 5000. In 2007, the Inc. 500 list expanded to the Inc. 5000, giving readers a deeper, richer understanding of the entrepreneurial landscape and capturing a broader spectrum of success.
Today, the list is a distinguished editorial award, a celebration of innovation, a network of entrepreneurial leaders, and an effective public relations showcase. The Inc. 5000 ranks companies by overall revenue growth over a three-year period. All 5,000 honoree companies are individually profiled on Inc.com. The top 500 are featured in the September issue of Inc. magazine, the leading entrepreneurial advocate for 33 years running. Inc. also ranks the fastest-growing companies by industry, metro area, revenue, and number of employees, and we also highlight women- and minority- run companies.
The Inc. 5000 lists the 5,000 fastest-growing private companies in the nation. The Inc. 500 are the top 500 companies on that list. All 5,000 companies are profiled on Inc.com. The top 500 are highlighted in the September issue of Inc. magazine. There is a single application process for both lists.
Companies are ranked according to the percentage growth of their annual revenue over a three-year period. To assess this, we ask for your 2013 and 2016 revenues. This gives us a three-year growth period, using 2013 as a base year for growth.
The equation for growth percentage is:
[(2016 revenue - 2013 revenue) / 2013 revenue] x 100 = total growth percentage
For example, if 2013 revenue was $3 million and 2016 revenue is $15 million:
$15 million - $3 million = $12 million
12,000,000 / 3,000,000 = 4
4 x 100 = 400
Growth rate is 400 percent.
- National, local, and industry recognition
- Media exposure via national, local, and industry/trade outlets -- in past years, the Inc. 5000 list has received over 35 million media impressions
- A high-traffic company profile page on Inc.com
- Coverage in Inc. magazine for the top Inc. 500 companies
- Personal validation for your employees
- Public acknowledgment for company-wide success despite the recession
- An exclusive Inc. 5000 community of private companies
- New leadership opportunities, e.g. by hosting a local Inc. event
- Increased visibility to the Inc. editorial staff
- Local private company Inc. event invitations
- Celebration and learning at the Inc. 5000 Conference and Gala
- Exclusive, cutting-edge private company research on growth patterns and strategies
- Shared business insights, resources and best practices
- Eligibility for a complimentary analysis of your company's growth potential by our CEO Project experts
- Traffic to your Inc.com profile (The profile pages of 2016's Inc. 5000 honorees received over 3 million visits collectively during the months of August and September)
- Recruiting tools
- New sales and partnership opportunities through high-quality networking
1. APPLICATION: Complete an application for the Inc. 5000 online here.
- Confirm that your company meets the Inc. 5000 2017 eligibility requirements. (Eligibility section below)
- Apply early in order to be eligible for the early application benefits and to ensure that you make all editorial and publication deadlines.
- If you do not have a final figure for your 2016 revenue when you apply, you may enter an estimate and provide us with the more precise figure when you submit your verification materials.
- Application fee is $150. Deadline for submitting applications is May 2, 2017.
2. REVENUE VERIFICATION: Once your company's 2016 revenue figure is final, submit revenue verification materials to confirm your 2013 and 2016 revenue figures.
- Submitting your revenue verification early will ensure accurate coverage in Inc.com or Inc. magazine. If you need an extension, please call 800-248-0308, or send an email to email@example.com.
- After you submit verification to support your revenue numbers, you may not withdraw from consideration for the 2016 Inc. 5000.
- If you are concerned that your final 2016 revenue figures will not be available in time, please contact us at 212-389-5505 (toll free at 800-248-0308) or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
3. EDITORIAL: Once revenue verification materials have been submitted, our editorial team may need to contact you to ask follow-up questions, to gather additional information and to discuss your company.
4. NOTIFICATION: In the summer of 2017, companies will be notified as to whether they made the list.
- Applicants will first be notified of their status via email
- CEOs of 2017 honoree companies will receive packets by mail informing them of their Inc. 5000 rank
5. PUBLICATION: In August we will publish the 2017 Inc. 5000 list on Inc.com. The September issue of Inc., profiling the top 500 of the Inc. 5000, will hit newsstands the following week.
- Inc. will publicize and distribute the list to media channels throughout the country.
6. CELEBRATION: Congratulations! Making the Inc. 5000 is a major accomplishment, and one that can be celebrated with your executives, employees, clients, and all others who helped make it possible.
- Inc. helps you celebrate with year-round regional events led by high-profile business leaders, exclusive private company research and more.
- Join us to accept your award in person along with other Inc. 5000 honorees, alumni, elite speakers, and other business leaders at the 2016 Inc. 5000 Conference and Gala in San Antonio.
Yes. There is a nonrefundable processing fee for all applicants. The application fee is $150. Identifying the fastest-growing private companies in the U.S. is an enormous editorial project that, among other things, raises awareness of entrepreneurship as a valuable force in our economy. The processing fee covers only a portion of the operational costs of this undertaking.
As a special benefit, applicant companies can elect for us to apply the application fee toward a deposit on registration for the 2017 Inc. 5000 Conference and Gala. The $150 application fee can be applied toward a $200 deposit on registration.
All of the following must be true of your company in order to qualify for the 2017 Inc. 5000. Your company must:
- Have generated revenue by March 31, 2013;
- Have generated at least $100,000 in revenue in 2013;
- Have generated at least $2 million in revenue in 2016;
- Be privately held, for profit; based in the U.S., and independent (not a subsidiary or division of another company).
You may choose one of the following three kinds of revenue verification to submit to our verification team:
Revenue Verification Form (click here to download): This is the easiest way to submit your revenue verification. Simply fill out the form and have a certified public accountant, chartered financial analyst, certified management accountant, or attorney sign the form attesting to the complete accuracy of the information. The certifier may work at the applicant firm or be independent, as long as the certifier is a licensed professional with credentials that are current and in good standing. Please make sure to print clearly!
Corporate Tax Return: Include the first page and the page that indicates that accrual accounting was used to prepare the return.
Audit: Include the accounting opinion letter and income statement from financial statements that have been audited, reviewed or compiled by an independent accounting firm.
For more information on revenue verification, feel free to contact our team at 212-389-5505 or toll free at 800-248-0308, or email us at email@example.com.
The Inc. 5000 Conference and Gala will be held October 10-12 in Palm Springs.
The 2017 Inc. 5000 Conference and Gala celebrates the 35th year of Inc.'s ranking of the fastest-growing privately held companies in America. The event brings together current Inc. 5000 honorees and alumni, along with the greater business community, to recognize their remarkable achievements and their great contributions to the economy. For more information about the 2017 conference, visit Inc5000Conference.com or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Registration is now open for this year's Conference and Gala.
As a special benefit for applicant companies, you can elect for us to apply the application fee toward a deposit on registration for the 2017 Inc. 5000 Conference and Gala. The $150 application fee can be applied toward a $200 deposit on registration.