Intranet Pros and Cons
Unlike many hyped-up trends, intranets make sense for small businesses. These internal Web sites provide an easy-to-reach and easy-to-update way to store the information employees require. Here are some reasons to create an intranet:
- Your business uses several different types of computers - and the users all need to reach the same company information.
- You need to centralize data in an easy-to-access way.
- You'd like to give employees controlled use of more of the information stored on your network, but...
- You don't want to administer network versions of various software packages.
And here are reasons not to create an intranet:
- You don't have a local area network, or your network's operating system - like some older versions of Novell NetWare - does not use TCP/IP, the Internet communications standard.
- You don't have any compelling business justification for one.
- Many of your employees don't use computers.
- Nobody is available to set up and manage the intranet.