Southern Comfort: Savannah's Squares and Parks
BY Inc. staff
Our guide to Savannah's top attractions continues.
Chippewa Square Bull and McDonough streets
Chippewa Square was designed in 1815 and named to commemorate the Battle of Chippewa in the War of 1812. In the center stands a bronze statue of the colony's founder, General James Edward Oglethorpe, who faces south protecting Savannah from the Spanish in Florida. Located on the Square: First Baptist Church, the Savannah Theatre, and the Eastman-Stoddard House. Also know as Forrest Gump Square, the bus stop scenes from the Oscar-winning motion picture were filmed on the north end.
Columbia Square Habersham and Presidents streets
Columbia Square was designed in 1799 and named 'Columbia, the female personification of the United States of America. In the center sits a fountain from the Wormsloe Plantation, an early Savannah settlement. Located on the square: The Davenport House and the Kehoe House
Franklin Square Montgomery Street and St. Julian streets
Franklin Square was designed in 1791 and named in honor of Benjamin Franklin, for many years the square was the site of the city's water tower and was referred to as 'water tower square. Located on the square: First African Baptist Church and the west end of City Market
Greene Square Houston and Presidents streets
Greene Square was designed in 1799 to honor General Nathanael Greene, a Revolutionary War hero who fought against the British in Savannah. Located on the square: Second African Baptist Church
Johnson Square Bull and St. Julian streets
Johnson Square was designed in 1733 and named for Robert Johnson, the Royal Governor of South Carolina, when Georgia was founded. Johnson Square was the first of Savannah's 24 squares and served as its commercial hub. In the center stands a monument of General Nathanael Greene, a Revolutionary War hero and Savannah patriot. Located on the square: Christ Episcopal Church
Lafayette Square Abercorn and Macon streets
Lafayette Square was designed in 1873 to honor the Marquis de Lafayette, who aided the Americans during the Revolutionary War. In the center sits a fountain dedicated by the Colonial Dames of America. Located on the square: The Hamilton-Turner House, the Cathedral of St. John the Baptist, the Low-Colonial Dames House, and the childhood home of author Flannery O' Conner
Madison Square Bull and Macon streets
Madison Square was designed in 1837 and named to honor James Madison, the fourth president of the United States. In the center stands a monument of Sergeant William Jasper who fell during the Siege of Savannah in 1779. A granite marker denotes the southern line of the British defense during the 1779 battle. Located on the square: St. John's Episcopal Church, the Green-Meldrim House, and the Sorrel-Weed House
Monterey Square Bull and Wayne streets
Monterey Square was designed in 1847 and was named to commemorate the 1846 Battle of Monterey during the Mexican American War. It was the battle of the Mexican War in which a Savannah unit of the Irish Jasper Greens fought. The square's monument honors Casimir Pulaski, a Polish nobleman who was mortally wounded during the Siege of Savannah while fighting for Americans. Located on the square: Temple Mickve Israel and the Mercer House
Wright Square Bull and President streets
Wright Square was designed in 1733 and named for Sir James Wright, Georgia's third and last colonial governor. The monument in the square honors William Washington Gordon, an early mayor of Savannah who established the Central of Georgia Railroad. The large boulder marks the grave of Tomochichi, the Yamacraw Indian Chief who welcomed General Oglethorpe and the first colonists. Located on the square: Lutheran Church of the Ascension
Forsyth Park Bull and Gaston streets
This 30-acre park is bordered on the north by Gaston Street, on the south by Park Avenue and has a one-mile perimeter popular among outdoor enthusiasts. The northern section of the park was donated to the city by William Hodgson, a private citizen, who felt the city needed a large public park. In 1851, the park was expanded and named for John Forsyth, a Georgia Governor. The park's north end is home to a cast iron fountain that was erected in 1858. The Forsyth Park Fountain was designed to resemble the grand fountain in Paris at the Place de la Concorde. An exact replica of the Forsyth Park Fountain resides in Cuzco, Peru. The park is also adorned by monuments to the Confederate Soldier, the Marine Corps Monument, the Spanish-American Monument and the Fragrant Garden for the Blind. The Forsyth Park Fountain is one of the most visited attractions by visitors to Savannah.