The Principal Women in Business Teleclass Series
Tuesday, January 30, 2007
Finance - Where to Get Funding Now
Jane Berentson, editor, Inc. Magazine
- "Need Money?" What's New in the Capital Markets
- Information about state venture capital programs from the National Association of Seed and Venture Funds (NASVF).
- Funding a Business with Credit Cards
- Smart Questions for Your Credit Card Company
- Person-to-Person Lending
- Prosper.com (a person-to-person lending site)
Technology - The Benefits of Company Blogging
Bobbie Gossage, associate editor, Inc. Magazine
Helpful Information About Blogging
- Blogging for Dollars
- The Rules of Blogging
- Top 10 Things You Should Know Before You Blog
- Robert Scoble's Rules of Corporate Blogging
- What to avoid: When Blogs go Bad
- Naked Conversations: How Blogs are Changing the Way Businesses Talk with Customers
Some examples of company blogs
- Joel Spotsky of Fog Creek Software
- Bob Parsons of GoDaddy
- Chris Bick and Keith Carollo of FredFlare.com
Creative Benefits - Keeping Employees Happy on a Budget
Stephanie Clifford, senior writer, Inc. Magazine
- What Gen Y-ers want from work, a new study from the Hudson Employment Index.
- What Gen X-ers Want from Work
- The NeXt Revolution: What Gen X Women Want at Work and How Their Boomer Bosses Can Help Them Get it
- The Society of Human Resource Management's Best Places to Work
(look at “company description” to read about their innovative policies)
- Bringing Babies to Work
- The Deloitte's Women's Initiative
- Hiring interns
(scroll down to "Cheap (and Eager) Labor")
- Hiring college kids to do strategic work.
Marketing - The Ins and Outs of E-mail Marketing
Leigh Buchanan, editor-at-large, Inc. Magazine
- Balance Day Spa sends out daily notices of open appointments that it offers at a discount.
- The Las Vegas franchise of Arthur Murray Dance Studio devotes most of its monthly newsletters to articles about dance.
- White Dog Café in Philadelphia uses monthly e-mails to advertise their good food (a little) and promote their socially conscious activities (a lot).
- Constant Contact, an Inc. 500 company, produces a good monthly newsletter on e-mail marketing. They are collected here.
- Return Path, also an Inc. 500 company, has some excellent resources on its site.