The Facebook IPO frenzy has faded, but the social media site and its founder are still making news. Here are a few of the latest headlines:
- Facebook's user growth rate in the U.S. is slowing. The social networking site had 158 million unique visitors in April--just a 5% increase from 2011, the Wall Street Journal reports. That's a sharp slowdown, after 24% year-over-year growth in April 2011 and 89% in April 2010. Roughly 71% of Internet users in the U.S. now have Facebook accounts, the Journal reports.
- Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg appears to have joined The Fancy--a Pinterest-style site with a high-end e-commerce spin. Now there are rumors of acquisition, reports PCMag. An account with Zuckerberg's picture, named "Zuckd," joined the site on Friday and already has 100,000 followers, Fast Company reports--adding that Zuckerberg may be testing the waters of the business, valued around $100 million.
- Facebook is being considered to join the Russell 3000 index, Reuters reports. It's on a preliminary list and would be the "largest addition to the index in market capitalization," Reuters notes.
- Speaking of Zuckerberg: Gizmodo wants you to stalk him. Dubbing it "the Summer of Zuck," Gizmodo last Thursday asked readers to submit photos and videos in exchange for $20 if the piece is used. According to the site, Facebook is a public company, and: "In short, it's time for Mark to go public too." Not everyone is pleased with Gizmodo's pitch, particularly TechCrunch.
Caitlin Berens writes about business innovation and entrepreneurs. Before Inc., she worked at Billboard, SELF, and Better Homes and Gardens. She attended Drake University, and lives in Brooklyn, New York. @CaitlinBerens
FROM OUR PARTNERS
- Smarty Pants
- Maryland – #1 in Innovation & Entrepreneurship
- New Data on Success
- New book BUSINESS BRILLIANT by Inc.com blogger Lewis Schiff
- Old Dominion
- No matter what you ship, your business is our business. Visit odpromises.com.
- Constant Contact
- Over 500,000 Small Businesses Use Constant Contact®. Safe, Simple.
- The rugged Torque
- Buy 1 Kyocera Torque, get 4 free. Only at Sprint. Restrictions apply.
- AT&T Enhanced PTT
- Switch to AT&T Enhanced Push-to-Talk and get a free Samsung Rugby III.
- Undesk your desk phone:
- ShoreTel Dock for iPad/iPhone. BYOD better.
- Business Essentials
- Represent Your Company With A Custom Name Badge. Find It Here!
- Servers up to 45% off
- Technology optimized for today, but scalable for growing business needs.
- PCs You can Trust
- Discover how an ASUS PC with leading reliability is fit for your business