At the start of every year, I create a list of quotes to guide and inspire me for the next 12 months. Here are the quotes I've selected for 2014:
- "A gem cannot be polished without friction, nor a man perfected without trials."
- "Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- "Enthusiasm, backed up by horse sense and persistence, is the quality that most frequently makes for success."
- "It doesn't matter whether the Dow is 5000 or 50,000. If you're an entrepreneur, there is no bad time to start a company."
- "Opportunities to find deeper powers within ourselves come when life seems most challenging."
- "The problem with competition is that it takes away the requirement to set your own path, to invent your own method, to find a new way."
- "You are your greatest asset. Put your time, effort and money into training, grooming, and encouraging your greatest asset."
- "It is only necessary to have courage, for strength without self-confidence is useless."
- "If money is your hope for independence you will never have it. The only real security that a man will have in this world is a reserve of knowledge, experience, and ability."
- "People who are unable to motivate themselves must be content with mediocrity, no matter how impressive their other talents."
- "If you have no confidence in self, you are twice defeated in the race of life. With confidence, you have won even before you have started."
- "It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change."
Like this post? If so, sign up for the free Sales Source newsletter.
The opinions expressed here by Inc.com columnists are their own, not those of Inc.com.