Well, I guess it's official: The United States is turning into Brazil.
Frito-Lay North America president Tom Greco recently cited a "bifurcation" of American snack eaters, a remark that the company's chief marketing officer summarized as "the rich are getting richer and the poor are getting poorer."
That's what economists have been pointing out for decades, but this is the first time the head of a huge consumer goods company has basically admitted that 1) the middle class is on its way to being kaput and that 2) marketing plans should address that economic reality.
A Divided Market
Here's what that means to you.
In the foreseeable future, the growth businesses will be in 1) high-end luxury items and 2) cheap junk for the hoi polloi.
The super rich will be buying private jets, luxury cars, diamond bras, space tourism, and other kinds of personal services, while supporting small armies of assistants, dogsbodies, lawyers, toadies, and politicians.
The super poor will be buying cheap items (like low-cost, high-calorie snacks) and lowbrow mass entertainment. (Once upon a time, this strategy was called "bread and circuses.")
So while 1% of the middle class climbs into the realm of the super-rich and the remaining 99% slide down to the ranks of the super-poor, businesses that provide products and services to the middle class will falter.
Pick a Strategy
Therefore, when it comes to long-term product strategy, entrepreneurs must decide whether to target the super rich or the super poor. Are you going to be a "Neiman Marcus?" Or are you going to be a "Walmart?"
You will eventually need to pick one or the other–because if you're a "Sears," you're basically toast.
Like this post? If so , sign up for the free Sales Source newsletter.
Geoffrey James writes the Sales Source column on Inc.com, the world's most visited sales-oriented blog. His newly published book is Business to Business Selling: Power Words and Strategies From the World's Top Sales Experts. @Sales_Source
FROM OUR PARTNERS
- Smarty Pants
- Maryland – #1 in Innovation & Entrepreneurship
- New Data on Success
- New book BUSINESS BRILLIANT by Inc.com blogger Lewis Schiff
- Old Dominion
- No matter what you ship, your business is our business. Visit odpromises.com.
- Constant Contact
- Over 500,000 Small Businesses Use Constant Contact®. Safe, Simple.
- The rugged Torque
- Buy 1 Kyocera Torque, get 4 free. Only at Sprint. Restrictions apply.
- AT&T Enhanced PTT
- Switch to AT&T Enhanced Push-to-Talk and get a free Samsung Rugby III.
- Undesk your desk phone:
- ShoreTel Dock for iPad/iPhone. BYOD better.
- Business Essentials
- Represent Your Company With A Custom Name Badge. Find It Here!
- Servers up to 45% off
- Technology optimized for today, but scalable for growing business needs.
- PCs You can Trust
- Discover how an ASUS PC with leading reliability is fit for your business