Employee Ownership 101
- ESOP Facts
- Answers to the questions that business owners frequently ask.
- Employee Ownership: The Basics
- Don't know the difference between an ESOP and stock options? Learn about various types of employee ownership through these commonly asked questions.
- ESOPs or Stock Options: Which Will Work for Your Company?
- If you're contemplating this frequently asked question, here are some definitions, scenarios, pros and cons, and words of wisdom.
- How Small Is Too Small for an ESOP?
- Wondering if an employee stock ownership plan is worth your while? Consider these guidelines.
- How does phantom stock work?
- You can use a "phantom stock" plan to compensate key employees for increasing the company's value -- without sharing ownership of the company.
Beyond the Hype
Employee ownership can be a powerful management tool, but it's no cure-all. The following stories will help you gain a balanced perspective on the pros and cons of employee ownership.
- The Silicon Valley Effect
- For executive job seekers, stock options are a powerful lure -- but so is the promise of good work.
- In Search of Equity
- Yes, sharing equity with employees can be good medicine for a number of organizational ills. Now, about the side effects...
- Motherhood, Apple Pie & Stock Options
- Stock options have become part of the American dream and the managerial weapon of choice for the savviest companies. Trouble is, options may threaten the very companies that offer them.
- What Does It Mean to Be an Owner?
- If you want your plan to be effective, employees have to understand it. Use the information here to help teach your new employee-owners about their rights and responsibilities as shareholders.
- How can we teach employees to think like owners?
- Telecare's comprehensive ESOP-education program helps employees think like owners.
- "Hey, why can't we just get the cash?"
- This is among the most common questions asked by employee-owners. If you're not sure how to respond, this article can help.
- We need to teach our employees some financial concepts. Where do we start?
- Leadership & Strategy mentor Keith Lamb shares his advice for introducing employees to financial concepts and creating a training program to help make the learning stick.
- Do you have any creative ideas for teaching business effectively?
- Want to teach employees to understand your company's finances? Consider these creative techniques.
- What do I tell employees if our stock dives?
- Sure, stock options are a great recruiting tool, but are you prepared to deal with employee reaction if your company's stock price takes a dive?
Creating a Culture of Ownership
Want to help your employee-shareholders learn to think and act like owners? Consider these techniques.
- Design a Business Literacy Program
- Help your employees understand the value of your business by designing a business literacy program that energizes them.
Employee Ownership as Exit Strategy
- The Ultimate Employee Buy-In
- Sell the company to your employees? It's a great idea--both for you and for the business you're leaving behind.
- Retiring Minds
- In today's tough market, selling stock to employees may be the smartest path to an exit strategy.
Resources and Tools
- CEO's Notebook: Options & Equity
- Here's a collection of tips and techniques on offering stock options, sharing equity, teaching employees about their stock, and discouraging them from selling stock to start their own businesses.
PRINT THIS ARTICLE