Code is power: So says Kristen Titus, executive director of Girls Who Code, a new organization working to combat the lack of women in the technology field.
If you're already working in the technology sector, you may have noticed a shortage of female applicants for job openings. Girls Who Code wants to remedy that by arming young women with coding skills.
This July, the group will launch an intensive eight-week program to get teen girls excited about computer science and engineering. The program will give 20 New York City teens access to classes on coding, design, financial literacy, and entrepreneurship. A mentorship aspect of the program will pair each girl with a successful female entrepreneur or engineer to act as a role model.
The initiative is currently backed by tech giants eBay, Twitter, Google, and General Electric.
The big tech companies “recognize that this is crucial,” Titus says. “When you’re looking at companies whose user base is often 50% to 75% women, it’s without a doubt important for them to have their users--women--innovating, sitting at the table, developing, and iterating on products.”
Titus and the group's founder, Reshma Saujani, plan to develop their model in NYC this summer, and then expand the program with Girls Who Code initiatives in cities all across the country in 2013.
“We want to help these young women think big,” Titus says. “ We want to open their eyes to the world of possibilities that technology can provide.”
FROM OUR PARTNERS
- Smarty Pants
- Maryland – #1 in Innovation & Entrepreneurship
- New Data on Success
- New book BUSINESS BRILLIANT by Inc.com blogger Lewis Schiff
- Old Dominion
- No matter what you ship, your business is our business. Visit odpromises.com.
- Constant Contact
- Over 500,000 Small Businesses Use Constant Contact®. Safe, Simple.
- The rugged Torque
- Buy 1 Kyocera Torque, get 4 free. Only at Sprint. Restrictions apply.
- AT&T Enhanced PTT
- Switch to AT&T Enhanced Push-to-Talk and get a free Samsung Rugby III.
- Undesk your desk phone:
- ShoreTel Dock for iPad/iPhone. BYOD better.
- Business Essentials
- Represent Your Company With A Custom Name Badge. Find It Here!
- Servers up to 45% off
- Technology optimized for today, but scalable for growing business needs.
- PCs You can Trust
- Discover how an ASUS PC with leading reliability is fit for your business