9 Ways to Turn a Frustrating Day Into a Great One
Some days just start out wrong.
From the time you wake up nothing goes the way you planned. Even the simplest things just seem to stall and create difficulty. I suppose you could just go home, crawl in bed and call it a day. Or you can try one of these tips below that I use to get things back on track. It just takes one or two to get the day moving back in a positive direction.
1. Count your blessings. Keep a little notebook where you write down positive things like dates when you accomplish something, or good ideas, or inspiring quotations. Keep it nearby for you to reference. Then when you are feeling down or frustrated you can pull it out and smile.
2. Complete one important task. Stop the trend of failing in its tracks. Set one small, defined task for yourself and finish it. You can't underestimate the mood boost that comes with the satisfaction of completion.
3. Set a reminder. Use your phone, computer or watch and set an hourly tone to grab your attention. When it goes off, think of a couple of happy thoughts, spend a few minutes in prayer, or engage in another affirming behavior.
4. Seek beauty. Find a respite from the tension in music, art, taking a walk in a park or garden, or surfing some beautiful videos. Experience something that stimulates your aesthetic sensibilities.
5. Begin a better future. Take the first step toward a life-changing decision. Take 20 minutes and list out 3 or 4 things you have always wanted to accomplish. Then surf the web and find a way to start the process. Maybe you always wanted to see Europe. Book a trip today.
6. Make a new connection. Put aside the frustrating tasks and sort through your LinkedIn list for people worth meeting. Reach out to several and begin the conversations with your new peers, mentors and friends.
7. Watch something inspiring. Often frustration comes from doing things the same way with little success. Find some new methodology. The Internet is full of inspiring material to get the day turned back to positive. Take your choice of TED talks, Gazelles experts or other thought leaders that can give you an amazing insight that makes this the best day ever.
8. Start learning a new skill. There is always excitement that comes with learning. Maybe it's time to start learning that new language or perhaps you always wanted to know how to code. Beginnings are filled with promise and opportunity. Start something promising today.
9. Show some appreciation. Perhaps your karma is getting the best of you today. Turn it around. Send a short message (email, text, note, call) of appreciation to someone. Tell them how much you enjoy and appreciate them. Then experience how they light up. You'll instantly feel better and your day will now be headed on the right track.
Like this post? If so, sign up here and never miss out on Kevin's thoughts and humor.
PRINT THIS ARTICLE