Are You a Boss or a Leader?
Being the boss does not necessarily mean you are leading. Here is a list of 10 characteristics that will help you determine if you are having a positive impact on your employees.
1. A boss knows it all; a leader is always learning.
2. A boss gives answers; a leader seeks solutions.
3. A boss talks more than listens; a leader listens more than talks.
4. A boss directs; a leader coaches.
5. A boss criticizes; a leader encourages.
6. A boss identifies weaknesses; a leader identifies natural gifts.
7. A boss is all about "me;" a leader is all about "we."
8. A boss places blame; a leader takes accountability.
9. A boss protects her ego; a leader reveals her vulnerability.
10. A boss demands results; a leader inspires performance.
Every team has a boss, but they really need a leader. Start leading today!
Read free chapters from the author's book Leadership Matters for more practical leadership insights.
LEE COLAN | Columnist
Lee Colan is founder of the L Group, a consulting firm that equips and inspires leaders at every level. He is a leadership adviser, presenter of practical ideas, and a Thinkers 50 nominee for Top Management Thinker.