In February Mary Hill asked how to recruit foreign nationals for her health-care service ("Foreign Intrigue," [Article link]). Here's a shortcut for companies with overseas affiliates, and a tip about an overlooked candidate pool:

* * *

Overseas embassies will issue a B1, or business-visitor visa, to affiliated employees conducting business in the United States for up to three months. During his or her stay, such an employee should apply for a temporary work visa, which will extend the U.S. stay to three years. During that stretch, the employee should apply for residency and a green card.

But if a person is employed by an affiliated company on foreign soil for the sole purpose of gaining a B1 visa, both the employer and the employee will be breaking immigration laws. If discovered in the United States, the worker typically will be deported, but stiffer penalties exist for the employer.

Bill Robinson

Senior Consultant

Blue Diamond Growers

Foster City, Calif.

* * *

Well-educated, hardworking English-speaking students from abroad swarm college campuses. Why not hire and train us?

Mandrick Shah

Graduate Student

Western Michigan University

Kalamazoo, Mich.

* * *

Jeff Harris wondered what other CEOs were giving their clients during the holidays ("Gift Rap," December 1992, [Article link]). Here are more shopping tips:

* * *

Find yourself an advertising-specialties distributor who knows your needs and can shop for you. To locate one, check the yellow pages. Or call a company whose products you like and ask for the name of its distributor.

Can't get geared up to shop for clients' holiday gifts? Then try birthday gifts. You'd still buy in bulk to save money, but the timing of the annual purchase isn't as critical.

Ann Roberta Andrews


Andrews & Andrews

Little Compton, R.I.

* * *

For those following the PIE Nationwide case on these pages, the Supreme Court has decided that shippers no longer need to pay undercharges to bankrupt carriers before seeking an Interstate Commerce Commission ruling that the filed rate is unreasonably high. Call the Transportation Claims and Prevention Council (516-549-8984) for details. n

* * *