IDG memo excerpt
To: Mike O'Neil, Vice-President of Operations
Please arrange to do the following things during the coming week:
1. Organize incoming questionnaires. . . .
2. Write a draft of an announcement letter for our new Punched Card Data File project.
3. Complete the mailing of subscription promotion letters. . . .
4. Find out the cost of a 16-millimeter projector with sound. . . .
5. Post a notice to all employees to keep their work area neat. . . .
6. Clean the windows in the front office room. . . .
7. Fix the drainpipe on the side of the house.
Best regards, Patrick McGovern, President
-- From a memo read by Patrick McGovern at a party celebrating the 30th anniversary of International Data Group (IDG), a $990-million publisher of information-technology magazines and newspapers. McGovern, IDG's founder and chairman, said he wrote the memo in 1965 to lay out a week of "crucial operational goals" for his start-up, then just a year old.* * *
PRINT THIS ARTICLE