Search the list
We asked the serial entrepreneurs on our list to name the most important thing they had learned as entrepreneurs. Here are our favorites.
1. Get in over your head. --Robert Donat, GPS Insight No. 281
2. Before you build the product, write the ad. --David Friend, Carbonite No. 9
3. Focus on simple things like profitability and execution. You don't need to come up with the next Facebook to create a successful business. --Jesse Lipson, ShareFile No. 104
4. Keep the main thing the main thing. --Brad Oberwager, Sundia No. 130
5. You will be remembered for how you deal with the ups and downs. --Andy Monin, Vendormate No. 25
6. Failing gracefully is much more important than succeeding. --A.J. Lawrence, The JAR Group No. 475
7. Surround yourself with great partners and share the rewards. --Curtis Hite, Improving Enterprises No. 210
8. Hire slow; fire fast. --Justin Talerico, ion interactive No. 202
9. It's a lot harder to repair a train while it is rolling down the tracks, so get everything set up before you build momentum. --Gabriel Krajicek, BancVue No. 117
10. Systems run the company; people run the systems. --Curt Richardson, OtterBox No. 395
11. It will take four times as much work as you expect but be 10 times more rewarding than you can imagine. --Eric Albee, Aromatic Fusion No. 205
12. There is always a solution. --Gregory Lilien, IguanaMed No. 264
13. You cannot do everything yourself. --Elia Wallen, Travelers Haven No. 90
14. Without knowing where you are at all times financially, you are destined to fail. --Dean Austin, Wyngate International No. 163
15. Never confuse a consultant with a partner. --Bing Howenstein, BackJoy Orthotics No. 51
16. At its founding, a business is victim to what you don't know; at adolescence, it's victim to what you think you know; and as it matures, it's victim to how willing you are to hand the reins to those more qualified. --Kevin Burke, Centuria No. 79
17. You don't lose until you give up. --David Wachs, Cellit No. 262
Want to become a better, smarter, more effective team builder and communicator? Join us at Inc.'s upcoming Leadership Forum June 10 to June 12 in San Diego. Visit leadership.inc.com for details.
From shocking marketing campaigns to mastering social media, the fastest growing companies on the Inc. 500 share the secrets to their rapid growth.