Beat Procrastination with Action Day
Do you have projects that just don't get done?
Are there certain tasks or projects that intimidate you?
Is there sometimes mystery behind the why? Do you ask, 'Why don't I just do it?'
Nike's 'Just Do It' slogan has become one of my very favorites. In fact, there have been times in my life that it's become a regular mantra! Sometimes it really is just that simple and we talk ourselves into taking on that next project, but sometimes we just get stuck.
Action Day is one of the most significant programs that I've ever introduced into my coaching practice. Action Day clients achieve things that have taken a back seat for far too long - and it's made a difference in their life and business. Give it a try!
You can create your own action day with a buddy if your reasons for putting off your project(s) are simple. But if you are really stuck and a meaningful project has been suffering because of it, you might consider hiring a coach to help you through it.
Here's how Action Day works.
- You identify a project that has been on the backburner for too long. It could be something as simple as organizing your office, or as complex as creating the outline for the book that's been burning to escape your brain for years.
- Schedule a full day for your project and create a list of actionable steps with a measureable outcome.
- Write a sentence or two about what you wish the outcome to be and do a reality check with your coach or buddy. Is it realistic that you can achieve this goal by the end of the day? If not, re-assess and perhaps schedule additional days during the next month or so.
- Organize the things you will need to have in place – a babysitter, supplies, resources, etc.
- Schedule at least three 15 to 20 minute calls with your coach or buddy; these are spaced 2-3 hours apart.
- In the first call, talk about any reservations, fears or concerns about your project. Again, if these are significant, work with someone who is experienced in helping others through similar situations. Once your confidence is boosted outline the steps you intend to take over the next 2 – 3 hours. Make sure you've turned off your email, put the phone in the other room and eliminated the potential for any distractions. Then, just do it!
- The subsequent calls are check points. Discuss your progress, talk about any barriers that have occurred, get a shot of encouragement and a few ''at a boys!'
- If you get 'stuck' during your day call your Action Day partner and talk it through. Don't just hang out until your next call. Keep the momentum going!
Action Days can help you achieve amazing things. Checking in with progress reports, receiving praise and encouragement and talking through your 'stuck' points makes these projects achievable. It's a powerful process!
What have you been putting off? Do you know why? Have you discovered a process that has helped you conquer your procrastination? Tell us about it!
Want to do an Action Day with me? Let's go!
Marla Tabaka is a small-business advisor who helps entrepreneurs around the globe grow their businesses well into the millions. She has over 25 years of experience in corporate and start-up ventures and speaks widely on combining strategic and creative thinking for optimum success and happiness.