According to the most recent SurePayroll Small Business Scorecard, hiring remains flat and paychecks are virtually flat in May over the previous month. But small business optimism skyrocketed.
Given that we didn't see an increase in small business hiring or pay, it's a little surprising that three out of four small business owners indicate they are optimistic about the economy – an enormous increase over last month when only half indicated being optimistic.
I'm sure a healthy stock market contributed to renewed enthusiasm. After all, when the market is hot, there's more chance that capital will be freed up and land in the hands of business owners looking to invest – whether it comes from banks or personal funds.
But considering the month was full of bad economic news stories – from lower home prices and decreased manufacturing activity to low consumer confidence – a Main Street economy that is avoiding a steep decline is the real light in our recovery tunnel, and likely one of the reasons more business owners are feeling optimistic.
In last month's column I discussed the many factors that could make the economy downshift quickly. So far the economy's held true. And while May's SurePayroll Scorecard confirms that we continue with a jobless recovery, small business owners see 'neutral' as pretty good. They have started to settle into the new norm, finding ways to grow enough to cover their current staffing needs.
Of course everyone hasn't found solace in the new norm. A jobless recovery is bad for the nine percent of the country that are still unemployed, as well as for the overall economy. While small business owner sentiment may indicate there can be beauty in 'neutral' after such a slow recovery, there's simply no chance of robust growth without hiring.
- Small Business Optimism is Back
- Two Words Matter -- Make Them Count!
- Why Business Owners Are Less Optimistic than Meatloaf
- 3 Reasons to Take a Vacation
- How you Play the Game
FROM OUR PARTNERS
- Smarty Pants
- Maryland – #1 in Innovation & Entrepreneurship
- New Data on Success
- New book BUSINESS BRILLIANT by Inc.com blogger Lewis Schiff
- Old Dominion
- No matter what you ship, your business is our business. Visit odpromises.com.
- Constant Contact
- Over 500,000 Small Businesses Use Constant Contact®. Safe, Simple.
- The rugged Torque
- Buy 1 Kyocera Torque, get 4 free. Only at Sprint. Restrictions apply.
- AT&T Enhanced PTT
- Switch to AT&T Enhanced Push-to-Talk and get a free Samsung Rugby III.
- Undesk your desk phone:
- ShoreTel Dock for iPad/iPhone. BYOD better.
- Business Essentials
- Represent Your Company With A Custom Name Badge. Find It Here!
- Servers up to 45% off
- Technology optimized for today, but scalable for growing business needs.
- PCs You can Trust
- Discover how an ASUS PC with leading reliability is fit for your business