"What it does: Collects, tests, and stores umbilical-cord stem cells. If the babies — and, in some cases, their relatives — are affected by blood cancers or genetic diseases down the road, the cells can be used to rebuild their immune systems. Why it's growing: The political debate over stem-cell research has familiarized people with the concept. ViaCell collects and stores cells only from umbilical cords, avoiding controversial embryonic cells. Obstetricians tell their patients about ViaCell and receive a procedural fee each time parents have a baby's cells collected and stored. Postscript: ViaCell went public in January; it trades on the Nasdaq exchange."
2004 Revenue:$38.3 million
2001 Revenue:$7.3 million
PREVIOUS INC. 5000 RANKINGS
FROM OUR PARTNERS
- New Data on Success
- New book BUSINESS BRILLIANT by Inc.com blogger Lewis Schiff
- Constant Contact
- Over 500,000 Small Businesses Use Constant Contact®. Safe, Simple.
- The rugged Torque
- Buy 1 Kyocera Torque, get 4 free. Only at Sprint. Restrictions apply.
- Undesk your desk phone:
- ShoreTel Dock for iPad/iPhone. BYOD better.
- Servers up to 45% off
- Technology optimized for today, but scalable for growing business needs.
- PCs You can Trust
- Discover how an ASUS PC with leading reliability is fit for your business
- Louisiana Advantage
- Custom-fit opportunity. Louisianaadvantage.com
- Old Dominion
- No matter what you ship, your business is our business. Visit odpromises.com.
- Save on business PCs
- Get business performance: Ultrabook™ styles, PCs, and more! Click for deals