Part of St. Louis's Municipal Service Building complex built in 1928, the Power House has been sitting vacant for 30 years after having been decommissioned by the city in 1980. (Continued.)
Cannon Design has revamped the building's interior for its own regional office, creating a three-story interior gallery, rooftop penthouse, urban garden, and 32,000 square feet of office and conference space. The effect is part vintage airplane hangar, part Guggenheim. And it's LEED Gold certified.
Designed to accommodate four people, this architecture office is housed in a cramped home on Detroit's east side. But how to turn a tiny, residential space built in 1907 into a cozy office? (Continued.)
Architecture design office Synecdoche used a CNC machine and went to work making holes in wooden screens to diffuse light and define the space for the office of graphic design and marketing group WYLD. Flexible seating allows for fewer people to spread out, or more to find a comfortable work station.
Once a pair of crumbling farm buildings owned by the Duchy of Cornwall, Architype's offfices have been reworked as contemporary architecture studios. The rural setting allows the buildings to seem airy and pastoral, while at the same time they are sustainable and inspirational—and therefore, quite modern. (Continued.)
The Upper Twyford Barn, as it's been dubbed, "is designed to a high ecological specification, using timber sourced from local woodlands, natural organic finishes, and recycled newspaper insulation," Architype says.
When craft and vintage website Etsy grew to large for its old Brooklyn office, the company turned to Hangar Design Group to come up with a space that was as charming and idiosyncratic as the brand—but also flexible and poised for yet more growth. (Continued.)
Hangar transformed a nearby warehouse into workspace for 75 employees, complete with conference rooms, kitschy-cool phone booths, and a lab for "the exploration of product design."
Located in Cleveland’s historic Midtown Corridor neighborhood, Vocon's headquarter building dates from the 1920s. The architecture and design frim modernized the space with bold colors and big shapes in a first-floor design laboratory and second-floor studio, café, lounge, and outdoor deck. (Continued.)