Everyone is getting in on the "pet spending spree," and the business's wooing pet crazy customers goes way beyond the food and toy industries.
* Hotels are adopting pet-friendly policies.
* Companies known for human products, such as Paul Mitchell, Omaha Steaks, Origins, Harley-Davidson and Old Navy, now offer lines of pet products.
* Products that recognize that pets are one of the family have hit store shelves, including diapers for puppies and edible greeting cards.
* Luxury products like faux furs for pets and rhinestone tiaras, and services like pet massages and liposuction have emerged for the socialite pet.
* And, new technology and innovation are making it easier to own and care for pets, including automatic feeders, self-cleaning trays and motion sickness aids for those pets on the go.
In all, the APPMA expects pet owners to spend approximately $31 billion in 2003 on their pets. It might sound a bit strange, but perhaps there's a way your business can profit from America's love affair with its pets.