Who has the money to actually pay for a traditional marketing campaign right now? Thought so!
Here are five ways to market and advertise for free (or mostly free) and save your powder for real life and death survival in this economy:
1. Cultivate link backs. A recent study shows only about half of all traffic is driven to sites by search engines. Where do you think the rest are coming from? Here's a handy little site to get an idea of where your corporate site stands in the crowd.
2. YouTube, baby! Survey after survey shows site visitors are gravitating towards streaming video. But, keep it short. They want it short and sweet. YouTube is a great place to park your videos and just link to them from your site (let YouTube carry the freight on all that extra bandwidth). YouTube, with 20 million unique visitors a month, is also a great place to draw in new eyeballs to view your products and services.
3. Social Networking. Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, Plaxo are all great ways to generate some buzz within your immediate industry circle and expand out from there.
4. Keep an eye out for new tips and tricks. I recommend John Jantsch's Duct Tape Marketing site.
5. The more you freshen your site content, the hire you'll rise in search engine rankings. This is why people blog, folks. A good blog heavy laden with the right keywords and frequent helpings of fresh postings is one of the best ways to skyrocket in the search engines.