Hopefully, you hours or even minutes away from beginning a much needed holiday break.
Before you run out the door, here are five things you should do before taking off.
1. Set up your automatic response on e-mail with the dates you'll be gone and who else to contact in case of an emergency.
2. E-mail all your contacts: all your colleagues, clients and vendors that you work with most regularly. Let them know your holiday schedule, where you are leaving off for now and where you plan to pick up with them again upon return.
3. Clear off your work space, your calendar committments for your first day back and leave yourself a note of reminders to help you get back into the groove upon return in January.
4. Thin out your briefcase. Don't take home anything that will tempt you to do work that can wait.
5. Remember green is a holiday color. Turn off your computer, printer, phone, etc. Unplug it from the wall.
Last updated: Dec 22, 2009
RENEE ORICCHIO is a technology writer and former supervising news producer for CNN Financial News. She has been covering the computer industry since 1987. @oricchio