BNET has published an article on "Eight Ways to Ruin Your Social Media Strategy, listing the following as potential mistakes that companies can make if they are not careful.
1. Pretend you can do without it.
2. Play down the costs.
3. Act like you own the conversation.
4. Fear empowering your employees.
5. Assume you have little to learn.
6. Take negative feedback personally.
7. Fret about return on investment.
8. Underestimate the power of seemingly small investments.
BNET is not the only website talking about this. Social media has become such a large part of business marketing efforts that most people are offering suggestions on how best to leverage it. Mashable, the Social Media Guide, offers "The Dos & Don'ts of Sharing, and BusinessWeek offers insight into how "Social Media Will Change Your Business.
The overwhelming consensus seems to boil down to a few key points: be real, be consistent and above all, don't ignore it! Social media is here to stay.
Curt Finch is the founder & CEO of a resource management software company.
PRINT THIS ARTICLE