The word "entrepreneur" comes from the aptly defined French word "entreprendre," meaning "to undertake." If you've made the bold decision to enter the world of entrepreneurship, you'll know it is, indeed, an undertaking.
Taking the time to design a product that's original, sought after, and potentially profitable on top of crafting the perfect pitch is just half the battle. Marketing your brand to the right people and finding investors who are compatible with your business model could take years to actualize--if you're even lucky enough to see your idea to completion. Beyond this, it is really the scaling of the company that sets apart an entrepreneur and a small business owner.
But just when you think you don't have the mettle to walk into one more investment meeting or are faced with a crippling case of mental block, remember everyone who's successful started somewhere and braved their own series of battles before arriving at the promised land of prosperity and personal fulfillment.
Below we've gathered some of the most inspiring quotes from some of humanity's most influential political, cultural, and philosophical leaders to get you through the dog days of entrepreneurship and keep you motivated until you land your big business break.
1. "It always seems impossible until it's done." -- Nelson Mandela
2. "There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living." -- Nelson Mandela
3. "I am the captain of my soul." -- Nelson Mandela
4. "Do one thing every day that scares you." -- Eleanor Roosevelt
5. "The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams." -- Eleanor Roosevelt
6. "You can often change your circumstances by changing your attitude" -- Eleanor Roosevelt
7. "Do not stop thinking of life as an adventure. You have no security unless you can live bravely, excitingly, imaginatively; unless you can choose a challenge instead of competence." -- Eleanor Roosevelt
8. "It is during our darkest moments that we must focus to see the light." - Aristotle
9. "There is no great genius without some touch of madness." - Aristotle
10. "Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work." -- Aristotle
11. "If you can't fly then run, if you can't run then walk, if you can't walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward." -- Martin Luther King Jr.
12. "We must accept finite disappointment but never lose infinite hope" - Martin Luther King Jr.
13. "I am a slow walker, but I never walk back." -- Abraham Lincoln
14. "Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any one thing." -- Abraham Lincoln
15. "The world is not the most pleasant place...You need to learn to stand up for yourself and what you believe and sometimes, pardon my language, kick some ass." - Queen Elizabeth II
16. "When life seems hard, the courageous do not lie down and accept defeat. Instead, they are all the more determined to struggle for a better future." - Queen Elizabeth II
17. "If you're going through Hell, keep going." -- Winston Churchill
18. "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something in your life." -- Winston Churchill
19. "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty." -- Winston Churchill
20. "Nourish your hopes, but do not overlook realities." -- Winston Churchill
21. "Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." -- Winston Churchill
22. Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking. Don't settle. As with all matters of the heart, you'll know when you find it." - Steve Jobs
23. "Stay hungry, stay foolish." - Steve Jobs
24. "I want to put a ding in the universe." - Steve Jobs
25. "I have learned that success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which one has overcome while trying to succeed." -- Booker T. Washington
26. "I attribute my success to this--I never gave or took an excuse." - Florence Nightengale
27. "By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail." -- Benjamin Franklin
28. "Hide not your talents. They for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?" -- Benjamin Franklin
29. "You could certainly say that I've never underestimated myself, there's nothing wrong with being ambitious." - Angela Merkel
30. "The goal is not to be better than the other man, but your previous self." - The Dalai Lama
31. "Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck." - The Dalai Lama
32. "In preparing for battle I have always found that plans are useless but planning is indispensable." - Dwight D. Eisenhower
33. "You may have to fight a battle more than once to win it." - Margaret Thatcher
34. "Plan your work for today and every day, then work you plan tomorrow." - Margaret Thatcher
35. "I like the dreams of the future better than the history of the past." - Thomas Jefferson
36. "Choose a job you love and you will never have to work a day in your life." - Confucius
37. "The superior man is modest in his speech, but exceeds in his actions." - Confucius
38. "Experience is the teacher of all things." - Julius Caesar
39. "Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever." - Mahatma Gandhi
40. "Rather now than tomorrow, and tomorrow than the day after!" - Joan of Arc
41. "I am not afraid... I was born to do this." - Joan of Arc
42. "One life is all we have and we live it as we believe in living it. But to sacrifice what you are and to live without belief, that is a fate more terrible than dying." - Joan of Arc
43. "Associate with men of good quality of you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company." - George Washington
44. "We should not look back unless it is to derive useful lessons from past errors, and for the purpose of profiting by dearly brought experience." - George Washington
45. "In the end, when it's over, all that matters is what you've done." - Alexander the Great
46. "There is nothing impossible to him who will try." - Alexander the Great
47. "With the right attitude, self-imposed limitations vanish." - Alexander the Great
Now that we're all inspired, get back to work and make 2018 a year you will always remember as a turning point for you and your business.