When it comes to building a business, if you wake up one morning and you realize that you don't like the business you've built, it's probably because it was built passively as opposed to consciously.
For me, life has been much more about figuring out what I don't want as opposed to being crystal clear about what I do want. I think this is normal for most of us. Once we've figured out what we don't want we can get on with the job of making the things we do want into a reality.
So what's my point? If you aren't clear about what you want in your business, you will simply get what you end up with. And that should be a concern. It all comes down to making very conscious decisions and setting clear intent.
Over the years I've learned to be better at making conscious decisions about pretty much every aspect of my business (and my life I might add) including:
- What type of customers do I want to attract and work with?
- What type of customers do I want to avoid at all costs?
- What type of projects do I want to attract?
- What type of projects do I want to avoid at all costs?
- How much money do I want to make?
- What poverty actions am I going to stop?
- What I will do and what I won't do for money - my moral compass.
- What type of people do I want in my life?
- What type of people don't I want in my life?
- What do I want people to say about me and my reputation?
I define these in absolute detail, write them down and carry them with me in a folder that I review pretty much every day, whenever I get a quiet moment or two. This is what gives them real power and what keeps me on track.
What is the end result? I have shaped a life by making conscious declarations. All of them have become reality. Am I still working on certain things? Absolutely. And I am sure I will be until the day I die but I've learned that setting clear intent helps make my goals a reality.
I use this method when I am struggling to make a decision or a call of some kind. I figure out what I don't want and what I do want - and generally, the decision-making process becomes a whole lot easier.
Going through life in a passive way generally gives us a life we don't want. Make conscious decisions about every part of your life and you might be surprised (and a little amazed) at what you get.