If you're unhappy at your job because you feel unfulfilled, or have bigger aspirations than your current role can provide, you've likely outgrown your position. This is something to celebrate. You're an achiever, and you want more. And now is the perfect time to decide whether or not 2017 is the year you make the jump to something better.
Maybe you don't realize it's time to leave and start a new business or career. It's easy to ignore the signs, or let fear prevent you from seeing the signs in the first place. Sometimes you just need a little validation that it's time to go for it.
Here's a list of definitive signs that you're ready to leave your current role and do what you love.
The 25 Signs
- You feel unfulfilled on a regular basis.
- You can't stand the work environment.
- You've outgrown your position and don't have room for promotion.
- You hustle more than anyone else.
- You're constantly saying "what if...".
- You care more about your customers than your CEO, boss or co-founders.
- You look at what other people are creating and say "I can do that!"
- Your sense of purpose doesn't align with the company's.
- You have nothing left to learn at your current company.
- You're voice isn't being heard at work.
- You've grown complacent even though you're a rock star.
- You have a burning desire to create something for yourself.
- You have anxiety attacks at work. (Don't worry, I did too).
- You love watching Shark Tank.
- You're doing two jobs but getting paid for one.
- You dread the idea of doing this same thing for the rest of your life.
- You keep thinking about that great idea you have for a new business.
- You're always looking at the clock.
- You often say "I wish I could just quit."
- You dread spending time around your co-workers.
- You're incredibly curious.
- You're always working on your resume.
- You're constantly on LinkedIn.
- You don't mind rolling up your sleeves and taking action.
- You're ready to say "enough is enough."
Get in the mindset of success
She continues: "We achieve what we believe. Which is why choosing to consciously focus our thoughts on the vision of success we have for ourselves, becomes the defining factor that separates those who win big from those who never enter the game."
So how do you get into the mindset of success?
- Create a success story. Write a paragraph that details what your success looks and feels like. Write as if it's already happened. You might write, "Clients are lining up to hire me and they happily pay my full rate," or "People pay me to speak at the best conferences and workshops in my field."
- Train your mind. Hang your success story up in your workspace and commit to reading it with vigor daily. Really take the time to see and feel your vision coming to life in your mind.
- Look for the evidence. Pay close attention to the good things happening in your life. The more you focus on your successes, the more success seems come your way. Focus on feeling grateful for the things you already have showing up in your life.
Remember: You are more capable than you imagine
When you think about making the jump, focus on how truly powerful and capable you are. You might feel stifled, or have grown complacent, but sometimes you just need to say "enough is enough" to your self-limiting beliefs, and embrace the truth that you are worthy of what you want.
Take one step each day
If this strikes a cord, meditate on your purpose and start dreaming up the life you want. Dream big. Then follow the steps outlined above. Don't worry if the process seems overwhelming. Just take one step each day in the direction you want to go. The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step. Just focus on that first step.