Dr. Wayne Dyer, a self-help author and motivational speaker for nearly four decades, died on Saturday night at his home in Maui, Hawaii. Dyer was 75.
Dyer's first book, the 1976 best-seller "Your Erroneous Zones," went on to sell an estimated 35 million copies. He gained prominence in the public eye particularly through his many appearances on PBS over an almost 40-year span, promoted as "public television's favorite teacher of transformational wisdom." Dyer's guide to better living also proved popular with celebrities such as Oprah Winfrey and Ellen DeGeneres, who both featured him as a guest on their talk shows. On Sunday night, DeGeneres tweeted, "The world has lost an incredible man. Wayne Dyer officiated our wedding & was an inspiration to so many. Sending love."
Dyer's self-help mantra touted self-fulfillment through clearing the mind of guilt and worry, with a heavy emphasis on spirituality. Below are some of Dyer's most inspiring quotes from his books, blog posts, and interviews:
1. "Creativity means believing you have greatness."
2. "I believe if you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change."
3. "Having a mind that is open to everything and attached to nothing seems to me to be one of the most basic principles that you can adopt to contribute to individual and world peace."
4. "When you stay on purpose and refuse to be discouraged by fear, you align with the infinite self, in which all possibilities exist."
5. "Consider that all human beings have within them the same essence of consciousness, and that the process of creativity and genius are attributes of human consciousness. Therefore, genius is a potential that lives within you and every other human being."
6. "Any and all thoughts that you have regarding your own skills, interests, and inclinations are valid."
7. "We only have to move beyond the barriers we have created to a blissful and empowering view of reality."
8. "Things don't really matter. But I always act as if they do."
9. "Be immersed in and surrounded by peace. Your Highest Self only wants you to be at peace. It does not judge, compare, or demand that you be defeat anyone, or be better than anyone."
10. "The next time you are contemplating a decision in which you are debating whether or not to take charge of yourself, to make your own choice, ask yourself an important question, ‘How long am I going to be dead?’ With that eternal perspective, you can now make your own choice and leave the worrying, the fears, the question of whether you can afford it and the guilt to those who are going to be alive forever."