Q: Currently I use independent contractors in my business. What is the additional cost of making them my employees?

A: Your costs and responsibilities toward employees are much greater than toward independent contractors. You must pay the employer portion of FICA (Social Security and Medicare taxes), unemployment insurance, and workers' compensation insurance. You must withhold the employee share of FICA plus federal (and state) income taxes, include employees in any retirement or other benefit plans you have or set up, and adhere to all federal and state laws governing an employer's treatment of employees (such as minimum wage and overtime rules). For federal tax obligations for employees, you should look at IRS Publication 15, Circular E, which you can download from the IRS Web site. Also check out federal and state laws governing employer conduct toward employees. (Ask your state Labor Department and the federal Department of Labor for information.)

Entire contents copyright © 1998-2000 BWideas.com Inc. All rights reserved.