Instagram is today's way of having your finger on the visual pulse of the design world, across art, architecture, fashion, graphic, and product. A few weeks ago I posted our favorite design websites. Now, our list of favorite Instagram feeds.
Like the websites we compiled, our Instagram list is made up of links we go to for inspiration. It is a treasure trove of eye candy for entrepreneurs and business leaders, as well as designers among you. And remember this list is incomplete and eclectic. Take a look.
1. @abstractsunday Even if you don't know Christoph Niemann's name, you probably have seen his intelligent, whimsical, inventive illustrations for The New York Times or his New Yorker covers. He calls himself a visual storyteller. A visual feast.
2. @_cindysherman_ If you want to see the world through Cindy Sherman's eyes, like our design strategy director, Seda Evis, follow this feed. It is a playground of Sherman's mind.
3. @thecindygram Another cool Cindy to follow is Cindy Allen, editor in chief of Interior Design magazine. Her humor and unique eye are the distinguishing features of her feed, which makes it one of my favorites.
4. @designseeds Our design and project manager, Leah Caplan, is obsessed with Jessica Colaluca's color palettes derived from the world around us. Great for digital mood boards.
5. @designtaxi_office Design Taxi was named as one of the "Top Five Sites for Keeping up With Creativity and Design" by Forbes in 2012, and it's still going on strong. Start with its Instagram feed and then dive into the website. (http://designtaxi.com/)
One of the trademarks of DesignTAXI's content is its unapologetically casual and flippant tone. Don't let that fool you - every article begs to be read, and you may find yourself falling down a reading rabbit hole once you log on.
--Shutterstock Best Design Blogs 2017.
6. @ignant This beautiful curated feed features both established and upcoming talent in art, design, photography, fashion, and architecture.
7. @kimjunggius Kim Jung Gi is a Korean artist whose Instagram feed features films showing him drawing that are mesmerizing to watch. I saw him live at the New York Kinokinuya bookstore this month (his live performances are also posted on his feed) and learned that he has trained himself to have a unique visual memory that allows him to draw and create in the moment.
I observe things all the time. I don't take references while I'm drawing, but I'm always collecting visual resources. I observe them carefully on daily basis, almost habitually. I study images of all sorts and genres.
8. @lovegoodcolor My own favorite go-to for color inspiration is Laura Guido Clark, with whom I get to collaborate on Herman Miller projects.
9. @macenzo This Amsterdam-based Dirk Bakker posts about travel, art, design, and architecture with an eye on patterns, shapes, and colors. Inspirational.
10. @p.roduct With 310K followers, this feed is beautifully curated to showcase product and interior design.
11. @producture The intersection of product and furniture, hence the name. Its feed strives to showcase the best in these categories and has a wide, interesting range. Designers can directly submit their products to be featured. (https://www.producturedesign.com/submit)
12. @sayhito_ Curated by Kristen de Lavalliere, hailing from Paris, @sayhito_ is about "inspiring + informing curiosity."
13. @sellyrabykane Selly Raby Kane is a Dakar-based dynamo of a fashion designer, creative director, and filmmaker. Beyonce wears her. A unique, beautiful window into African fashion and its creative forces.
14. @shoparchitects Shop Architects won Fast Company's "Most Innovative Architecture Firm in the World" in 2014, and the Smithsonian/Cooper Hewitt's "National Design Award for Architecture" in 2009. Definitely worth a follow.
15. @stefansagmeister Visionary graphic designer and filmmaker Stefan Sagmeister has transformed his Instagram feed into a visual platform for vibrant commentary and conversation on new work. Anyone can submit work for Sagmeister to review and possibly share on his feed. 240K followers.
16. @victoriagranof If you want to see beautiful food design, go no further than Victoria Granof, food stylist and creative director, who has worked with the legendary photographer Irving Penn for over a decade.
What are your favorites on Instagram? Help us discover.
My special thanks to our wonderful team at Birsel + Seck: Bibi Seck, Seda Evis, Leah Caplan, Selin Sonmez, and our intern, Meltem Parlak, for helping compile this list.