It's no secret that as you rise further up the rank in the workplace, your emotional intelligence becomes more important.
A widely-quoted agency that measures emotional intelligence, TalentSmart, notes that 90% of high performers have similarly high EQ. They apparently make $29,000 more than those with lower EQ scores. And according to their studies, EQ is responsible for 58% of your job performance.
To understand why EQ is so important as you advance in your career, think about a professional basketball team. Once you've made it to an NBA-level team, you're pretty damn good. Every player is better than 99 percent of all other basketball players in the country.
The same applies inside a company. Once you've made it to a senior position, everybody else in that same position is likely going to be at the same level as you in skills and knowledge. Therefore, what differentiates you-and what becomes immensely important-is how you relate to others. How socially aware are you? Do you make others feel comfortable? Are you someone who adds value to the people around them or sucks the energy right out of a room?
One of the easiest ways to improve your EQ game is to understand how your words can affect others and how they reflect on you. Below is a list of some of the most annoying things people say.
1. To be honest.
2. It's above my pay grade.
3. Think outside the box.
4. Let me circle back to you.
5. We're all on the same team.
6. Pick your brain.
7. It's the elephant in the room.
8. Let's download together next week.
9. It's all for the best.
10. I'm just doing my job.
11. You have a lot of potential.
12. Let's do a deep dive.
13. We're in a paradigm shift (or an inflection point).
14. This is game-changing.
15. Rising tide lifts all boats.
16. I'm always available for questions (No one ever is).
17. This is a win-win for everyone.
18. Let's try to move the needle.
19. It's not about the money. (Stop, nobody believes you).
20. That's a great idea. (When it isn't)
21. Let's right-size this division.
22. It's a no-brainer.
23. You'll be the first to know.
24. Let's innovate.
25. Anything involving the "Uber" of.
Now I'm curious to know what phrases are your pet peeves?