Thanksgiving is the best American holiday--and yet it's also probably the one we make fun of the most. I suppose it's inevitable: take overindulgence, add distant family, and you're almost guaranteed to concoct an environment that begs to be made fun of. With that in mind, and with the holiday right around the corner, here are 12 quotes--some funny, some poignant--to help you get into the mood.
1. "There is one day that is ours. Thanksgiving Day is the one day that is purely American."
2. "Thanksgiving is an emotional time. People travel thousands of miles to be with people they see only once a year. And then discover once a year is way too often."
3. "I approximated the Black Friday experience at home by hurling myself into a wall a number of times and then ordering online."
4. "After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relations."
? Oscar Wilde
5. "I'm from Canada, so Thanksgiving to me is just Thursday with more food. And I'm thankful for that."
6. "The Thanksgiving tradition is: We overeat. 'Hey, how about at Thanksgiving we just eat a lot?' But we do that every day! 'Oh. What if we eat a lot with people that annoy the hell out of us?'"
7. "This was a really big year for me. I got to go home to Thanksgiving and sit at the adults' table. That's 'cause, you know, somebody had to die for me to move up a plate."
8. "If you think Independence Day is America's defining holiday, think again. Thanksgiving deserves that title, hands-down."
9. "Let us be grateful to the people who make us happy; they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom."
10. "I am grateful for what I am and have. My thanksgiving is perpetual."
--Henry David Thoreau
11. "I like football. I find its an exciting strategic game. Its a great way to avoid conversation with your family at Thanksgiving."
? Craig Ferguson
12. "Be thankful for what you have; you'll end up having more. If you concentrate on what you don't have, you will never, ever have enough."