I've said it before: My fellow Americans, we suck at vacations.
And don't get me started on the Europeans... oh man, the Europeans--with their 30 paid days off and their entire countries that shut down for the month of August and their mini-breaks--don't get me started.
The truth is that while I don't know you, the odds are great that despite it being the start of August, with a national heat wave and a horribly nasty presidential election season going on, the odds are good you won't be taking a vacation this year.
So, to put you in the mood, here are 17 quotes about vacations to at least subliminally implant the word and the idea in your brain.
1. "Jobs, family, employers, and friends can exist one day without any one of us, and if our egos permit us to confess, they could exist eternally in our absence. Each person deserves a day away in which no problems are confronted, no solutions searched for. Each of us needs to withdraw from the cares which will not withdraw from us."
-- Maya Angelou, Wouldn't Take Nothing for My Journey Now
2. "As you grow older, you learn a few things. One of them is to actually take the time you've allotted for vacation."
-- John Battelle, entrepreneur, founder of The Industry Standard
3. "A vacation is what you take when you can no longer take what you've been taking."
-- Earl Wilson, pro baseball player
4. "With me, a change of trouble is as good as a vacation."
-- David Lloyd George, mid-20th century British politician
5. "Babies don't need a vacation, but I still see them at the beach... it pisses me off! I'll go over to a little baby and say 'What are you doing here? You haven't worked a day in your life!'"
-- Steven Wright, comedian
6. "I'm not happy on vacation. In those rare times when I have three hours with no work I have to do, I'm terribly uncomfortable."
-- Scott Adams, Dilbert creator
7. "I don't need a vacation in the traditional sense, like I would if I had a job I hated."
-- James Franco, actor
8. "I pace myself by taking a week-long vacation every four months."
-- Marissa Mayer, Yahoo CEO
9. "I learned a long time ago that trying to micromanage the perfect vacation is always a disaster. That leads to terrible times."
-- Anthony Bourdain, celebrity chef
10. "I'd like to dial it back 5% or 10% and try to have a vacation that's not just e-mail with a view."
-- Elon Musk, entrepreneur
11. "I'm an actor, so I am always scared. You never know if you are on vacation or that you have been retired and they just didn't tell you."
-- Ted Danson, actor
12. "I get bored of vacation."
-- Jose Andres, celebrity chef
13. "After I had done the first 'Pirates' movie and 'Secret Window,' I went on vacation to escape with my kiddies and my girl, and someone said that there was an island down the road for sale. I said, 'Oh well, let's go see it.' I looked at it, I walked on it, and I was done. It had to be."
-- Johnny Depp, actor
14. "My best vacation is somewhere I could hide, somewhere warm and not a lot of people around."
-- Derek Jeter, MLB great
15. "When you go on vacation with people, you learn a lot about them."
-- Sarah Mlynowski, bestselling author
16. "The problem with the law is that it's always there. There wasn't a vacation I took over the nine years I practiced - this was back in the dark ages - when I wasn't having faxes and FedExs literally sent to me on the beach in the Caribbean. I used to go on cruises not because I liked cruises, but because it was the one spot they couldn't get you."
-- Megyn Kelly, former lawyer turned TV journalist
17. "I want to be a writer you can always depend on for a good read during your vacation, during your flight, during a time in your life when you want to forget the world around you."
-- Jeff Abbott, suspense novelist