Summer is technically on the books for another few weeks, but Labor Day is always described as the unofficial end of the season. So while we're relaxing with beach trips or barbecues, here are some great and inspiring quotes about the value of hard work.
Enjoy the long weekend, and we'll see you back in the trenches on Tuesday.
1. "I would rather have one article a day of this sort; and these ten or twenty lines might readily represent a whole day's hard work in the way of concentrated, intense thinking and revision, polish of style, weighing of words."
2. "TV's hard work. I don't know how the hell Angela Lansbury survived doing 'Murder, She Wrote' all those years."
3. "The road to success is not easy to navigate, but with hard work, drive and passion, it's possible to achieve the American dream."
4. "I do not know anyone who has got to the top without hard work. That is the recipe. It will not always get you to the top, but should get you pretty near."
"5. There is no substitute for hard work, 23 or 24 hours a day. And there is no substitute for patience and acceptance."
6. "You can't get there by bus, only by hard work and risk and by not quite knowing what you're doing. What you'll discover will be wonderful. What you'll discover will be yourself."
7. "I know you've heard it a thousand times before. But it's true--hard work pays off. If you want to be good, you have to practice, practice, practice. If you don't love something, then don't do it."
8. "I watched a small man with thick calluses on both hands work 15 and 16 hours a day. I saw him once literally bleed from the bottoms of his feet, a man who came here uneducated, alone, unable to speak the language, who taught me all I needed to know about faith and hard work by the simple eloquence of his example."
-- Mario Cuomo
9. "Plans are only good intentions unless they immediately degenerate into hard work."
10. "Let me tell you the secret that has led me to my goals: my strength lies solely in my tenacity."
-- Louis Pasteur
11. "Power means happiness; power means hard work and sacrifice."
12. "We live in the kind of society where, in almost all cases, hard work is rewarded."
--Neil deGrasse Tyson
13. "I can say the willingness to get dirty has always defined us as an nation, and it's a hallmark of hard work and a hallmark of fun, and dirt is not the enemy."
14. "I think that my biggest attribute to any success that I have had is hard work. There really is no substitute for working hard."
15. "If a man is called to be a street sweeper, he should sweep streets even as Michelangelo painted, or Beethoven played music, or Shakespeare wrote poetry. He should sweep streets so well that all the hosts of heaven and earth will pause to say, here lived a great street sweeper who did his job well."
-- Martin Luther King, Jr.
16. "Education, actual learning--it is hard work. It's very personal. Your parents don't teach you anything. Your teachers don't teach you anything. The government doesn't teach you anything. You read it. You don't understand it; you read it again. You break a pencil and read it again."
17. "It's hard work making movies. It's like being a doctor: you work long hours, very hard hours, and it's emotional, tense work. If you don't really love it, then it ain't worth it."
18. "Composing music is hard work."
19. "Perseverance is the hard work you do after you get tired of doing the hard work you already did."
20. "If people knew how hard I worked to achieve my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful after all."
21. "Everybody wants to be famous, but nobody wants to do the work. I live by that. You grind hard so you can play hard. At the end of the day, you put all the work in, and eventually it'll pay off. It could be in a year, it could be in 30 years. Eventually, your hard work will pay off."
22. "My parents had always preached the virtues of hard work. But hard work is one thing; economic struggle is another."
23. "I think the thing about that was I was always willing to work; I was not the fastest or biggest player but I was determined to be the best football player I could be on the football field and I think I was able to accomplish that through hard work."
24. "There are no secrets to success. It is the result of preparation, hard work, and learning from failure."
25. "I'm a designer, and I work very hard at that. People sometimes want to put down fashion by saying it's frivolous or superficial, but it's not that way at all. It's actually very hard work."
26. "I'm a greater believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it"
-- Thomas Jefferson
27. "Talent is cheaper than table salt. What separates the talented individual from the successful one is a lot of hard work."
28. "Movies are hard work. The public doesn't see that. The critics don't see it. But they're a lot of work. A lot of work."
--Robert De Niro
29. "My first job was washing dishes in the basement of a nursing home for $2.10 an hour, and I learned as much about the value of hard work there as I ever did later."
30. "Luck? I don't know anything about luck. I've never banked on it and I'm afraid of people who do. Luck to me is something else: Hard work--and realizing what is opportunity and what isn't."
31. "The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses--behind the lines, in the gym, and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights."
-- Muhammad Ali
32. "It's hard to beat a person who never gives up."
-- Babe Ruth
33. "Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle."
34. "It's hard work to make a four-minute program look effortless and elegant."
35. Performance-wise, you really need to be down in the trenches; you need to do the hard work, for a lot of reasons: To build yourself as a performer, to get a sense of the audience, to work hard and to wonder, 'Do I really want to do this?'"
36. "I think of doing a series as very hard work. But then I've talked to coal miners, and that's really hard work."
37. "Winners embrace hard work. They love the discipline of it, the trade-off they're making to win. Losers, on the other hand, see it as punishment. And that's the difference."