As a public service, I've got two things for you. First, just in case you're stuck on gift ideas, check out this guide to the 20 coolest gifts for proudly nerdy dads. Second, just to get you inspired, we've got the rest of this column: 18 inspiring, funny, and just plain quotes--by, for, and about dads.
With that, here are the quotes:
1. The one that makes you go awwwww....
"I love my daddy. My daddy's everything. I hope I can find a man that will treat me as good as my dad."
2. The one that makes you say, yeah, that sounds right...
"As a dad, you are the vice-president of the executive branch of parenting. It doesn't matter what your personality is like, you will always be Al Gore to your wife's Bill Clinton. She feels the pain and you are the annoying nerd telling them to turn off the lights."
3. The one that leaves you impressed...
"I was born on the other side of the tracks, in public housing in Brooklyn, New York. My dad never made more than $20,000 a year, and I grew up in a family that lost health insurance. So I was scarred at a young age with understanding what it was like to watch my parents lose access to the American dream."
4. The one you have to think about for a second...
"When a father gives to his son, both laugh; when a son gives to his father, both cry."
5. The one that makes you nod knowingly, as if you've read Shakespeare...
"It is a wise father that knows his own child.
--William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice
6. The one that takes you back to high school (summer reading list, maybe?)...
"It was times like these when I thought my father, who hated guns and had never been to any wars, was the bravest man who ever lived."
--Harper Lee, To Kill a Mockingbird
7. The one that gets the theme song going in your head...
"There's no shame in fear, my father told me, what matters is how we face it."
--George R. R. Martin, A Clash of Kings
8. The second one that makes you nod knowingly, as if you've read Shakespeare...
"How sharper than a serpent's tooth it is
To have a thankless child."
--William Shakespeare, King Lear
9. The one that makes sense, and then you think of Freud's fixations...
"I cannot think of any need in childhood as strong as the need for a father's protection."
10. The one that leaves you wondering, when did he say that?
"A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father."
--Frank Abagnale (you might remember him from Catch Me If You Can)
11. The second one that makes you go awwwww....
"I am not ashamed to say that no man I ever met was my father's equal, and I never loved any other man as much."
--Hedy Lamarr, actress and inventor
12. The one that leaves you respecting the soft side of a really, really tough man...
"I'm always going to love my father."
--Floyd Mayweather, Jr.,
13. The one that leaves you saying, Good for you, David Beckham!
"I'm a strong person, I'm a strong family man, I'm a strong husband and a strong father.
14. The one that reveals another side of Adam Sandler...
"I mean, I look at my dad. He was 20 when he started having a family, and he was always the coolest dad. He did everything for his kids, and he never made us feel like he was pressured. I know that it must be a great feeling to be a guy like that."
15. The one that leaves you saying, Good for you too, Bo Jackson!
I would say my greatest achievement in life right now - my greatest achievement period is - and I'm still trying to achieve it - is to be a wonderful father to my kids.
--Bo Jackson, NFL and MLB star of the 1990s
16. Indeed, Liam Neeson..
"It's an ongoing joy being a dad."
17. The third one that makes you go awwwww....
"When I come home, my daughter will run to the door and give me a big hug, and everything that's happened that day just melts away."
18. The one where you say, good point, Pope!
"It is easier for a father to have children than for children to have a real father."
--Pope John XXIII
19. Granted, this one's kind of circular, but we'll take it.
"My father was not a failure. After all, he was the father of a president of the United States."
--Harry S Truman
20. Okay, one more that makes you go awwwww....
"The surprising thing about fatherhood was finding my inner mush. Now I want to share it with the world."