There are 55 shopping days left til Christmas and this holiday season is already in full swing. That also means that there are only 62 days left in 2017 to offset as many of those taxable profits as you can before the end of the year with new capital equipment for 2018.
NOTE: I am not an accountant so don't buy anything you want to get a tax deduction for until you speak with a qualified professional to advise you on what will and won't qualify as a deduction
With the important disclaimer now out of the way, here are my top 10 must-have gadgets for 2017's holiday season.
1. Sony 1000XM2 Wireless Noise-Canceling Headphones ($348). A business traveler's and conference call junky's must. I have had mine for over a month now and can't imagine life without them. You will be hands free, heard clearly, and rest well on airplanes.
2. Sony Earbuds: WF-1000X 1000X Wireless Noise-Canceling Headphones ($199). These are pretty slick and are truly wireless with no wires at all. I know all my Apple friends will swear by their airbuds, so this is for my Android peeps who don't want an over-the-ear headset.
My friend Shaina Weisinger at CEO of Video Podcast Producers recommends springing for 4k lines (a resolution of 3840 pixels x 2160) especially if you have some tax exposure to mitigate. If you are on more of a budget then 4K is not necessary since you will only be exporting and uploading in web-friendly 1080 HD, but 4K does allow for more manipulation in post-production if you're fancy like that. Below are four choices
Note: You'll want three cameras for a three-angle shoot (one large center shot and one camera on each person) so understand what you are trying to accomplish and buy accordingly.
4. If you go 4K "on the cheap": Panasonic HC-VX981K 4K Ultra HD Camcorder ($700)
5. If you go small format (not 4k): ($700-$899) Panasonic HC-V770K Full HD Camcorder
Note: These are a little more expensive than some other models but you have to ensure it has a microphone input jack.
4. If you go 4K "like a boss": Sony Full Frame a7R III ($3,000-$4,000) Sony's newest Alpha Camera drops November 30. See last week's Press release as it launched in New York and has professionals and photo enthusiasts going crazy over the speed and quality -- best in the industry.
TVs and Monitors For Your Home Office
5. A1E | OLED | 4K Ultra HD | High Dynamic Range (HDR) | Smart TV (Under $3,000
Microphones and Recording Audio
If you want to go with what the pros use (and you do because audio is more important than video in the coming age of voice search, Alexa Skills, etc. Get the Sennheiser wireless setup. You'll need two of these sets. One for each person on camera.
If you will be wanting stellar sound (which you should), consider an audio recorder. Here are two options. For each microphone you will need an XLR input for your microphone.
If you will be having two people on camera only, consistently then go with...
If you will be having up to four people on camera...
Notes: XLRs for microphones. If you have a Sennheiser system this is the only one that will work with stereo sound.
You can't create great visuals without proper lighting. I've used and love this set of inexpensive Limo2 LED lights. They allow you to adjust how warm or cool you want the color and also the brightness. They also give you the ability to go battery powered. This kit comes with two lights, power cords, and stands.
I suggest picking up two of these kits to make sure that you've got enough light for any space, but in a decently lit place you can get away with one set.
11. Limo2 LED lights ($199)
Why not a new SUV to haul it all around?
12. A new SUV or Truck: Check with your accountant again on all of these items and their business use for which category of capital equipment expense they will fall under and what depreciation schedule but my favorite one of all is to buy any vehicle that has a GWVR (curb weight) over 5,000 pounds (see IRSCODE 179).
Remember when you look good, you feel good, and when you feel good you are usually far more productive. Happy Shopping!