Absurdly Driven looks at the world of business with a skeptical eye and a firmly rooted tongue in cheek.

Have you even been stuck on the tarmac? In a plane, that is.

The temperature can rise in line with your temper.

Especially on a 90-degree day.

That's what author Emily France says happened to her, as she was on a United flight from Denver to El Paso.

She told the Denver Post that she and her baby, Owen, sat for two hours in the sweltering plane. She said the vents were just pumping hot air.

Flight attendants and a passenger helped by offering ice. The cabin crew even allowed her to come to the front of the plane for 20 minutes. But then there was renewed hope for a takeoff, so she had to sit down at the back of the plane.

That hope was dashed. And then Owen began to suffer.

"His whole body flashed red and his eyes rolled back in his head and he was screaming," she told the Post. "And then he went limp in my arms. It was the worst moment of my life."

Then, she said, she and other passengers begged for an ambulance. It appears what followed was a disagreement between cabin crew and ground crew as to whether stairs should be brought to the plane or whether the plane should return to the gate.

In the end, it was the latter.

"They were not equipped to handle it," she said. "They couldn't evacuate us. It was chaos. I really thought my son was going to die in my arms."

She said it took 30 minutes to get back to the gate. Owen was taken to hospital, but he's now fine.

Two hours is the limit that an airline can keep you on a grounded plane without giving you sustenance and an opportunity to use the restroom.

France believes there should be a temperature limit, too. I have sympathy with that.

I've sat several times at Chicago's O'Hare -- it always seems to be there -- as my plane has been parked and become very hot in the expectation of a sudden permission to take off that ends up being hours away.

France complained that United hadn't even bothered to get in touch since the incident.

I contacted United and was told: "This should never have happened. We are profoundly sorry to our customer and her child for the experience they endured. We are actively looking into what happened to prevent this from occurring again."

The airline, however, says that it was only 16 minutes until Owen received help from paramedics.

Some airlines -- and especially United, given its extremely checkered recent past -- are grappling with allowing their staff to make common sense decisions, where previously they'd been hidebound by the rulebook.

But if something more serious had happened to Owen, what then?