Entrepreneurs are often defined by the size of our ambitions, but the best way to make a big impact is to start small steps. How many times have you set a Big Hairy Audacious Goal for yourself and, somehow, got lost along the way? I know I have, and the only times I reached my farthest goals were when I broke things down into small, bite-sized actions.
Porch.com's Matt Ehrlichman recently shared the dilemma in his Inc. article:
We all want our teams to achieve big things and that starts by making big and audacious goals. But it can be daunting when you're standing at the starting line, trying to comprehend the marathon ahead. The key is to take it one step at a time, essentially breaking a big goal down into many smaller goals.
The first steps are usually the hardest. Here are 21 ways you can go big without burning yourself out.
- Schedule a blank day
- In the first hour of your day, avoid email and social media
- Read a book a week
- Make your bed in the morning
- Save coffee until late morning
- Skip the heavy lifting on Monday
- Build breaks into your day
- Keep cell phones out of your crucial meetings
- Focus on the joy of work, not on pursuing happiness
- Create goals bigger than crushing the competition
- Embrace your burnout
What simple actions are you taking to make yourself a better entrepreneur?