As I look back on 2017 and the beginning of 2018, it was full of unexpected situations. One of the skills I've had to work on all my life, and continue to work on, is my ability to be flexible. To be adaptable. Because as Heraclitus said, "The only constant is change."
I've written before about the power of inspiring quotations to move us and others to action. Here, then, are 13 quotes to help inspire your own flexibility and improve your ability to adapt, to evolve, and to grow your business and yourself:
- "Tactics, fitness, stroke ability, adaptability, experience, and sportsmanship are all necessary for winning." -Fred Perry
- "It is not the strongest or the most intelligent who will survive but those who can best manage change." -Charles Darwin
- "Adaptability is about the powerful difference between adapting to cope and adapting to win." -Max McKeown
- "The art of life is a constant readjustment to our surroundings." -Kakuzo Okakaura
- "Adaptability is not imitation. It means power of resistance and assimilation."
- "You can't build an adaptable organization without adaptable people--and individuals change only when they have to, or when they want to." -Gary Hamel
- "People will try to tell you that all the great opportunities have been snapped up. In reality, the world changes every second, blowing new opportunities in all directions, including yours." -Ken Hakuta
- "Learn to adjust yourself to the conditions you have to endure, but make a point of trying to alter or correct conditions so that they are most favorable to you." -William Frederick Book
- "All fixed set patterns are incapable of adaptability or pliability. The truth is outside of all fixed patterns." -Bruce Lee
- "A wise man adapts himself to circumstances, as water shapes itself to the vessel that contains it." -Chinese proverb
- "Fall seven times and stand up eight." -Japanese proverb
- "When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be." -Lao Tzu
- "You can't fall if you don't climb. But there's no joy in living your whole life on the ground." -Unknown
What was your favorite quote? How can you improve your flexibility and ability to adapt to adverse situations in your business and life? Let me know your thoughts in the Comments section below.