When you try to achieve something in life or work, there can come times when negative thoughts overwhelm you. That's when the right inspirational quote can help.
Others who have achieved great things have been there as well. They overcame what they needed to. The resolution of their struggles can help you find the motivation to keep going.
Here are 17 quotes that may help you break through the barriers between you and what you want.
1. "The best way to make money is not to have making money as your primary goal. I've seen great people primarily motivated to make money. Almost without exception, they failed. They missed the real essence of learning to do something well, of building something better than anyone else." -- H. Ross Perot, My Life and the Principles for Success (1996, The Summit Publishing Group)
2. "No star is ever lost we once have seen, we always may be what we might have been." -- Adelaide Anne Procter, The Ghost in the Picture Room (1859, All the Year Round)
3. "I really think a champion is defined not by their wins but by how they can recover when they fall. I have fallen several times. Each time I just get up and I dust myself off and I pray and I'm able to do better." -- Serena Williams, Reuters
4. "The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now." -- Anonymous
5. "Lord, we know what we are, but know not what we may be." -- William Shakespeare, Hamlet (1603)
6. "Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage." -- Anais Nin, The Diary of Anais Nin, Vol. 3 (1971, Houghton Mifflin)
7. "If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else." -- Booker T. Washington, Up From Slavery (1901, The Outlook)
8. "Cavort, dear, just cavort." -- Carol Burnett, This Time Together: Laughter and Reflection (2010, Crown Archetype)
9. "When you have faults, do not fear to abandon them." -- Confucius, The Analects (500 B.C.)
10. "Listen to yourself and in that quietude you might hear the voice of God." -- Maya Angelou, Twitter (2014)
11. "All good work requires self-revelation." -- Sidney Lumet, Making Movies (1995, Reed Business Information, Inc.)
12. "The question I'm most commonly asked is 'Why?' A more pertinent question might be, 'Why is it that more people don't attempt to escape the limitations imposed upon them?'" -- Robyn Davidson, Tracks: A Woman's Solo Trek Across 1700 Miles of Australian Outback (1995, Vintage)
13. "Education costs money, but then so does ignorance." --Sir Moser Claus, Daily Telegraph (August 21, 1990)
14. "To uncover your true potential, you must first find your own limits, and then you have to have the courage to blow past them." -- Picabo Street, Picabo: Nothing to Hide (2001, McGraw-Hill Companies)
15. "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover." -- H. Jackson Brown Jr., P.S. I Love You (1991, Rutledge Hill Press)
16. " Be yourself because an original is worth more than just a copy." -- Suzy Kassem, Rise Up and Salute the Sun: The Writings of Suzy Kassem (2011, Awakened Press)
17. "[W]e need only in cold blood act as if the thing in question were real, and keep acting as if it were real, and it will infallibly end by growing into such a connection with our life that it will become real." -- William James, The Principles of Psychology (1890, Henry Holt and Company)