Entrepreneur and erstwhile politician Michael Bloomberg just commissioned a poll to determine whether he should consider a run for President. With that thought in mind, here are some quick glimpses into this enigmatic billionaire:
- "Capitalism works."
- "America is built around this premise that you can do it, and there are an awful lot of people who are unlikely to have done it who did."
- "I don't believe that government is good at picking technology, particularly technology that is changing. By the time you get it done and go through democracy, it's so outdated."
- "I don't know why you should be proud of something. It doesn't make you any better or worse. You are what you are."
- "If we don't want to enforce laws on the books, we should remove them from the books. But when you have laws, you breed contempt if you don't enforce them."
- "If you look at people, whether in business or government, who haven't had any moral compass, who've just changed to say whatever they thought the popular thing was, in the end they're losers."
- "One of the great dangers here is going and categorizing anybody from one religion as a terrorist. That's not true... That would let the terrorists win. That's what they want us to do.
- "Taxes are not good things, but if you want services, somebody's got to pay for them so they're a necessary evil."
- "The public is upset. If they haven't lost their job, they know somebody that has. If they haven't lost their house, they know somebody that has. What do you do? When something's wrong, it's government's job to fix it, it must be government that's responsible for causing it."
- "Whatever you may think of the proposed mosque and community center, lost in the heat of the debate has been a basic question: Should government attempt to deny private citizens the right to build a house of worship on private property based on their particular religion?"
- "You don't make spending decisions, investment decisions, hiring decisions, or whether-you're-going-to-look-for-a-job decisions when you don't know what's going to happen.
- "You have to take away some of tax breaks for the wealthy, and you have to cut back on some entitlements. Because, unless we do all of these things, it just doesn't work. And what's good theater and what's good politics isn't necessarily good economic policy."
- Every one of my positions cuts out half the country. I'm pro-choice, I'm pro-gay rights, I'm pro-immigration, I'm against guns, I believe in Darwin."
- If you really believe that you're making a difference and that you can leave a legacy of better schools and jobs and safer streets, why would you not spend the money? The objective is to improve the schools, bring down crime, build affordable housing, clean the streets - not to have a fair fight."
- "I'm not going to run for president. No way, no how."
Published on: Jan 12, 2016
Like this column? Sign up to subscribe to email alerts and you'll never miss a post.
The opinions expressed here by Inc.com columnists are their own, not those of Inc.com.