The easiest way to replicate success is to emulate the thinking of successful people. With that in mind, I collected a set of quotes from a dozen incredibly successful people, none of whom inherited their vast wealth:
1. Jeff Bezos
- I believe you have to be willing to be misunderstood if you're going to innovate.
- Life's too short to hang out with people who aren't resourceful.
- There's no bad time to innovate.
2. Sara Blakely
- It's important to be willing to make mistakes. The worst thing that can happen is you become memorable.
- We don't have the luxury of time. We spend more because of how we live, but it's important to be with our family and friends.
- We can make the world a better place, one butt at a time.
3. Michael Bloomberg
- Taxes are not good things, but if you want services, somebody's got to pay for them so they're a necessary evil.
- To a contrarian like me, constant advice not to do something almost always starts me quickly down the risky, unpopular path.
- I don't know why you should be proud of something. It doesn't make you any better or worse. You are what you are.
4. Warren Buffett
- There seems to be some perverse human characteristic that likes to make easy things difficult.
- Of the billionaires I have known, money just brings out the basic traits in them. If they were jerks before they had money, they are simply jerks with a billion dollars.
- If past history was all there was to the game, the richest people would be librarians.
5. Larry Ellison
- When you innovate, you've got to be prepared for everyone telling you you're nuts.
- I believe people have to follow their dreams--I did.
- I have had all of the disadvantages required for success.
6. Bill Gates
- Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces smart people into thinking they can't lose.
- We make the future sustainable when we invest in the poor, not when we insist on their suffering.
- Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning.
7. Elon Musk
- When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- The only thing that makes sense is to strive for greater collective enlightenment.
- The single best piece of advice: Constantly think about how you could be doing things better and questioning yourself.
8. Larry Page
- Especially in technology, we need revolutionary change, not incremental change.
- If you're changing the world, you're working on important things. You're excited to get up in the morning.
- We don't have as many managers as we should, but we would rather have too few than too many.
9. J. K. Rowling
- It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all, in which case you have failed by default.
- It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends.
- It is our choices ... that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.
10. George Soros
- The worse a situation becomes, the less it takes to turn it around, the bigger the upside.
- Unrestrained competition can drive people into actions that they would otherwise regret.
- An open society is a society that allows its members the greatest possible degree of freedom in pursuing their interests compatible with the interests of others.
11. Oprah Winfrey
- What God intended for you goes far beyond anything you can imagine.
- Real integrity is doing the right thing, knowing that nobody's going to know whether you did it or not.
- Breathe. Let go. And remind yourself that this very moment is the only one you know you have for sure.
12. Mark Zuckerberg
- The biggest risk is not taking any risk ... In a world that's changing really quickly, the only strategy that is guaranteed to fail is not taking risks.
- I think a simple rule of business is, if you do the things that are easier first, then you can actually make a lot of progress.
- I think that people just have this core desire to express who they are. And I think that's always existed.
Published on: Jun 12, 2015
Like this column? Sign up to subscribe to email alerts and you'll never miss a post.