Accountability is a key ingredient in any success, but it seems to be the one that people have most difficulty with. When we accept accountability we put ourselves in a position where we can make the necessary changes to be successful, whereas when we look to blame it disempowers us.
The more accountable we can be, the more accountable our teams will become and the more success we can achieve.
Here are 49 quotes that help us to understand the importance of accountability.
1. "It is wrong and immoral to seek to escape the consequences of one's acts."
― Mahatma Gandhi
2. "Leaders inspire accountability through their ability to accept responsibility before they place blame."
― Courtney Lynch
3. Accountability breeds response-ability.
― Stephen R. Covey
4. "When it comes to privacy and accountability, people always demand the former for themselves and the latter for everyone else."
― David Brin
5. "When we fail to set boundaries and hold people accountable, we feel used and mistreated. This is why we sometimes attack who they are, which is far more hurtful than addressing a behavior or a choice."
― Brené Brown,
6. "It is not only what we do, but also what we do not do, for which we are accountable."
7. "A body of men holding themselves accountable to nobody ought not to be trusted by anybody."
― Thomas Paine
8. "Most people do not really want freedom, because freedom involves responsibility, and most people are frightened of responsibility."
-- Sigmund Freud
9. "Accountability is the measure of a leaders height."
― Jeffrey Benjamin
10. "The reason people blame things on the previous generation is that there's only one other choice."
-- Doug Larson
11. "Take accountability... Blame is the water in which many dreams and relationships drown."
― Steve Maraboli
12. "What you do, tells me everything about you."
― Jerry Fernandez
13. "Action springs not from thought, but from a readiness for responsibility."
-- Dietrich Bonhoeffer
14. "The pride of man hopes but to blame God for the evils of the world, and to praise himself for the good."
― Criss Jami
15. "Ninety-nine percent of all failures come from people who have a habit of making excuses."
-- George Washington Carver
16. "Being responsible sometimes means pissing people off."
-- General Colin Powell
17. "The worst thing that can happen to you as a young person, is to refuse to grow up. You refuse to grow up when you believe that someone else must take responsibility for your life and life circumstances."
― Saidi Mdala,
18. "You are the reason of your own good-luck and bad-luck; success and failure; happiness and pain. Your choices are responsible for your present. Don't blame someone else for your sufferings or failures."
― Sanjeev Himachali
19. "The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it."
-- Lou Holtz
20. "Responsibility equals accountability equals ownership. And a sense of ownership is the most powerful weapon a team or organization can have."
― Pat Summitt
21. "Wisdom stems from personal accountability. We all make mistakes; own them... learn from them. Don't throw away the lesson by blaming others."
― Steve Maraboli
22. "The price of greatness is responsibility."
-- Winston Churchill
23. "On good teams coaches hold players accountable, on great teams players hold players accountable."
― Joe Dumars
24. "You can make any promises as long as you are not going to be there to fulfill them."
― Pawan Mishra
25. "Accountability separates the wishers in life from the action-takers that care enough about their future to account for their daily actions. "
― John Di Lemme
26. "Success on any major scale requires you to accept responsibility . . . . In the final analysis, the one quality that all successful people have is the ability to take on responsibility."
-- Michael Korda
27. "We are all accountable for our actions; their affect and influence on our lives and the lives of others.
28. "Understanding the true meaning of accountability makes us strong and enables us to learn"
― Sameh Elsayed
29. "Restoring responsibility and accountability is essential to the economic and fiscal health of our nation."
― Carl Levin
30. "If you are building a culture where honest expectations are communicated and peer accountability is the norm, then the group will address poor performance and attitudes."
― Henry Cloud
31. "Good men are bound by conscience and liberated by accountability."
― Wes Fessler
32. "Where there is no accountability, there will also be no responsibility."
― Sunday Adelaja
33. "When a man points a finger at someone else, he should remember that four of his fingers are pointing at himself."
― Louis Nizer
34. "Some want, to be exempt. They do not want to excel, they do not want to exert. They want to be considered excellent, for desiring to be held exempt, from all accountability."
― Justin K. McFarlane Beau
35. "Anyone can possess, anyone can profess, but it is an altogether different thing to confess."
― Shannon L. Alder
36. "He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else."
― Benjamin Franklin
37. "Intentions do not insulate us from the consequences of our actions."
― Jon D Harrison
38. "The only way we succeed as a group is not simply following directions, but in keeping each other accountable for our actions."
― A.J. Darkholme
39. "Accountability and self-responsibility are critical to our success in personal, professional and public life. However, we often look for those character traits in others, rather than inculcating them in ourselves."
― Vishwas Chavan
40. "You steadily grow into becoming your best as you choose to be accountable and accept responsibility for improvement."
― Steve Shallenberger
41. "Make yourself accountable and your employees will hold themselves to a high standard."
― David J. Greer
42. "Open collaboration encourages greater accountability, which in turn fosters trust."
― Ron Garan
43. "If you can't stand the heat, you'd better get out of the kitchen."
― Harry S. Truman
44. "For most people, blaming others is a subconscious mechanism for avoiding accountability. In reality, the only thing in your way is YOU."
― Steve Maraboli
45. "On one side of accountability is courage, on the other is freedom."
― Jean Hamilton-Fford
46. "A duty dodged is like a debt unpaid; it is only deferred, and we must come back and settle the account at last."
― Joseph Fort Newton
47. "To be accountable means that we are willing to be responsible to another person for our behavior and it implies a level of submission to another's opinions and viewpoints."
― Wayde Goodall
48. "Never promise more than you can perform."
― Publilius Syrus
49. "Ownership: 'A commitment of the head, heart, and hands to fix the problem and never again affix the blame."
― John G. Miller
If we can become more accountable, it will help us achieve a culture of accountability, which will then contribute to better results.
How do you hold yourself and your teams accountable?