The 20 questions that comprise this diagnostic are organized across 4 unique dimensions - Personality, Proficiencies, People and Presence. I call it the "4Ps Leadership Snapshot." The assessment is quite easy to administer. While this survey can be leveraged in a variety of ways, including within a "360-evaluation" format, by reporting-line manager to subordinates, or simply used as an interview script by a hiring manager / hiring committee, it's worth taking on your own to identify your leadership strengths as well as to recognize some areas for improvement.
The scale that you use is up to you. High, Medium and Low works just fine. But, you can spruce it up to any way you like using a numbered and / or a weighted scale as you see fit. Regardless, take it and it will give you a snapshot of where you are as a leader and will provide a perspective on where you can work to do better.
The 4Ps Leadership Assessment Snapshot:
Personality - How you're wired.
1. Inquisitiveness: Is curious and interested in new ways of "thinking" and "doing"
2. Resolve: Has a willingness to push against status quo and maintains convictions to drive needed change
3. Emotional Intellect: Makes time to know and truly care about other people and their concerns and aspirations
4. Vitality: Is energetic and passionate about business and its evolution
5. Initiative: Is sincerely interested in producing new content that shapes new ways of thinking and doing
Proficiencies - What you do well.
6. C-Suite Impact: Possesses advanced consulting & advisory skills that have influenced action at the senior client executive level
7. Market Expertise: Is knowledgeable and is current on industry trends, disruptions, needs and can translate that understanding into big ideas that create value
8. Value Proposition Positioning: Has the ability to demonstrate how to solve client challenges within a senior leadership setting.
9. Communication: Is an outstanding communicator, skilled at messaging in both verbal and written form.
10. Teaching: Can demystify complex concepts for improving client executive understanding of them
People - How you get the best out of others.
11. Relationship-Building: Is exceptional at developing new relationships based on trust and confidence
12. Team-Building: Actively develops the capabilities of their team by leveraging the strengths and aptitudes of its individual members
13. Community-Building: Fosters an environment for sharing and developing ideas among their teams that can be used to extend market reach and industry influence
14. Coaching and Feedback: Is committed to providing advice and feedback to team members that enables improvement in individual performance
15. Diplomacy: Able to achieve desired outcomes through negotiation and tact
Presence - Your ability to generate respect and project confidence.
16. Executive Authority: Has exhibited Board and C Suite executive presence and is comfortable leading at that level of an organization
17. Results Influencing: Demonstrated ability of translating big ideas into differentiated product and service offerings
18. Market Presence: Highly credible and influential within the industry
19. Business Building: Track record of driving new net business into their organizations
20. Talent Development: Has the ability to attract, develop, retain and leverage superstar talent.
To close, my firm's use of this diagnostic indicates that there is a high correlation between the archetype leadership attributes brought forward in the 4P Leadership Snapshot and success as a leader. While self-assessments can be skewed (some people tend to grade themselves uncompromisingly, while others are more apt to be soft graders when it comes to evaluating one's own performance), this tool should still be able to help you to see what you do well and where you need some work. As always, if you'd like to some assistance in bringing this type of diagnostic to your organization, please reach out.