If you're a senior leader, mid-level manager or, simply, a company change agent struggling to determine ways in which to ensure the long-term success of your business, you may find value in what I call the Back-To-Basics Prescription. It is an overarching program aimed at renewing the basic business fundamentals that every organization should have perfected to compete at a world class level.
There 7 central programs that comprise the Back-To-Basics Prescription. Each are intended to establish the internal capabilities and competencies needed to weather any challenge brought forth within the ever competitive landscape of the 21st Century.
The 7 programs include:
1. Strategic Planning: This program crafts a strategic plan and ongoing strategy execution process, which identifies the initiatives required to move the organization form its current state to the achievement of its long-term vision. This program acts as the glue for the rest of the programs that comprise the Back-To-Basics Prescription.
2. Culture By Design: This program revamps the culture in support of the firm's vision, as well. It focuses on the cultural aspects of strategy, leadership, motivation orientation, risk management and change adaptability. It identifies that changes needed to shift organizational behavior and achieve strategic alignment within the organization.
3. Business Process Renewal: This program re-imagines the way work is done to achieve the excellence of execution required for organizations to delight their customers and drive the innovation that keeps the firm top-of-mind for evermore. The work here identifies ways to optimize performance and determines the people and technologies needed to streamline operations.
4. Technology Architecture: This program aligns a company's data resources, application systems and technology platforms with the business operations in such a way that the resultant IT environment can be leveraged to competitive gain and to position the firm on a simple upgrade path for the future.
5. Continuous Employee Improvement: This program emphasizes the people aspect of the business. It identifies ways to refresh the skills and capabilities of the workforce by aligning staff development initiatives with where the firm is heading (as defined by its vision), and not on simply fulfilling its current needs.
6. Communications: This program institutes the needed mechanisms and devices required to improve the ways in which leadership and staff communicate within and throughout the organization. It contains a set of initiatives that determines the tools, techniques and practices that enable transparent and effective communication.
7. Portfolio-Based Project Management: This program establishes the environment required to manage and monitor the implement the various initiatives that encompass the strategic plan. It puts into place the necessary infrastructure to ensure successful strategy execution by looking at a firm's entire portfolio of projects and programs, which enables sound strategic decision-making as the strategic plan evolves over time.
To close, these 7 essential programs know no industry boundaries and can be widely applied by both private and public entities. It is the universal nature of the Back-To-Basics Prescription that makes it so appealing and that is why I've prescribed it to countless clients. It has proven to be one that contemporary business leaders, managers and change practitioners can leverage in order to thrive in the new era. As always, please be sure to reach out to me directly to discuss this Back-To-Basics Prescription idea further.