The "Three Joys" philosophy forms the basis for all of Honda's business activities and sets the standard for product innovation. Here's how they describe the "Joys":
The Joy of Buying
The joy of buying is achieved through providing products and services that exceed the needs and expectations of each customer.
The Joy of Selling
The joy of selling occurs when those who are engaged in selling and servicing Honda products develop relationships with a customer based on mutual trust. Through this relationship, Honda associates, dealers and distributors experience pride and joy in satisfying the customer and in representing Honda to the customer.
The Joy of Creating
The joy of creating occurs when Honda associates and suppliers involved in the design, development, engineering and manufacturing of Honda products recognize a sense of joy in our customers and dealers. The joy of creating occurs when quality products exceed expectations and we experience pride in a job well done.
All of this can be seen in the motorcycles that they produce. The 2018 Goldwing, their high-end, flagship touring model which features some of the most appealing and innovative technologies that can be found in a motorcycle, including:
- Four riding modes --Tour, Sport, Econ, and Rain--help tailor the riding experience for specific riding conditions
- Hill Start Assist makes it easier to start from a stop on an ascent
- Smart Key for keyless starts and bag access
- Vehicle Viewfinder system simplifies locating motorcycle, for instance in larger parking lots
- Apple CarPlay compatibility enables the rider to access Apple Music and Maps, make phone calls, and send dictated messages using Siri
- 7-inch full-color Thin Film Transistor (TFT) display offers clear viewing of audio and navigation systems, as well as settings for individual rider-aid systems
The idea that a company can align its core beliefs and mission philosophy into a value proposition that a consumer (in this case a motorcycle buyer) can touch and feel is often evasive. However, Honda has been successful in doing just that. In its own words, Honda is "Driven by its dreams and reflecting its values, Honda will continue taking on challenges to share joys and excitement with customers and communities around the world to strive to become a company society wants to exist."
To close, Honda has been able to translate its fundamental beliefs into a portfolio of great motorcycle models, including the Super Cub, which reached its 100 million units in cumulative production this past October (quite an achievement by any measure). If you would like some assistance in translating your core beliefs into a winning strategy, please be reach out to me, it's what I do.