What is a blockchain? A blockchain is a decentralized, distributed and public digital ledger that is used to record transactions across many computers so that the record cannot be altered retroactively without the alteration of all subsequent blocks and the collusion of the network.
If you're like me, that definition probably didn't help you. And maybe that's okay...
But then again, the number of blockchain jobs has increased over 600 percent since late 2015. According to Indeed, 15 of the 18 most popular industry jobs mentioned "cryptocurrency" in the job description. And Upwork (the freelancing platform) reports that blockchain engineering skills are the second most-demanded skills in the labor market.
So if that sounds enticing... where can you go to learn more about cryptocurrencies and blockchain?
Here's a list of courses put together by BusinessStudent.com, an online source for information on business degrees and careers.
- Cryptoeconomics 101 -- (BlockGeeks) -- Introduces you to the major principles that give blockchain its value. Focuses on core topics in cryptography and economics, and how they work together to creative systems of incentives for blockchain.
- Blockchain 101 Intro - Non Technical -- (BlockGeeks) -- This is an introductory course to blockchain technology. It will show you how transactions are stored in blockchain, how mining works via consensus and the difference between permissioned and permissionless blockchain.
- Build a Decentralized Blockchain App -- (BlockGeeks) -- This introductory course will teach you how to build a decentralized blockchain app with Ethereum.
- Bitcoin and Cryptocurrency Technologies -- (Coursera) -- This is an introductory course from Coursera that will teach you how Bitcoin works, how secure Bitcoin is, and how anonymous Bitcoin users are.
- Blockchain Application Development for Microsoft .NET -- (BlockGeeks) -- This class teaches how to develop a decentralized application for blockchain on Microsoft Windows using Visual Studio or Visual Studio Code.
- Basic Solidity Course -- (BlockGeeks) -- This course will prepare you to design, manage and construct enduring systems of Smart Contracts that have significant value. It will show essential knowledge and patterns that can be used to design and build a signature system.
- The Complete Course on Understanding Blockchain Technology -- (Udemy) -- This Udemy course will provide the student with a complete understanding of how blockchain works, what the future of the technology is, and how to have conversations with anyone about blockchain technology.
- Intro to Bitcoin -- (BlockGeeks) -- Learn the fundamentals of how Bitcoin works, and the proof of work consensus algorithm that makes such decentralized transactions possible. Learn about public and private keys, transactions, mining, hard foks and segwit.
- Intro to Ethereum -- (BlockGeeks) -- Learn how to write contracts and build Dapps using Ethereum and learn about Solidity and how to build decentralized applications.
- Workshop - Tokens on the Blockchain -- (BlockGeeks) -- Looks at the definition of tokens and understanding what they mean as they relate to blockchain. Focuses on tokens for the Ethereum blockchain and also looks at other token standards such as ERC20.
- How Money Stays Stable -- (BlockGeeks) -- This webinar looks at how money works, and how currency stays stable over long periods of time. It also studies the law of supply and demand and how it determines the quantity and price of goods and services in economies.
- Workshop - Smart Contracts 101 -- (BlockGeeks) -- This webinar studies smart contracts, how they work with the Ethereum blockchain from the architectural level as well as from a practical standpoint.
- Workshop -- How to Use ERC721 Tokens -- (BlockGeeks) -- This webinar examines the ERC721 token standard and an example of implementation in the Open Zeppelin library. You will learn what this type of token is and how it differs from the ERC20.
- Workshop: Segwit -- (BlockGeeks) -- This program will walk you through the segregated witness feature of the bitcoin blockchain.
- Workshop -- Q&A Program's Smart Contract -- (BlockGeeks) -- This webinar is a study of Q/A DAPP and how it works with smart contracts.
- IBM Blockchain Foundation for Developers -- (Coursera) -- Several highly experienced IBM blockchain developers will lead the student through several videos that show high level concepts, components and strategies on how to build blockchain business networks.
- Blockchain in the Energy Sector -- (FutureLearn) -- This course studies the disruptive possibilities of blockchain technology in the energy sector. Students will learn how blockchain works and begin to understand the value, background and geopolitical context and how it applies to the energy sector.
- Become a Blockchain Developer with Ethereum and Solidity -- (Udemy) -- This webinar will introduce you to the basic philosophy behind blockchain; how to develop a distributed application and deploy it in production; unit testing and create a user interface. Also, you will learn all of the basic concepts of the Solidity smart contract language.
- Ethereum Developer Masterclass - Build Real World Projects -- (Udemy) -- This course from Udemy will go through the Ethereum development ecosystem in great detail. The student will create and launch their own initial coin offering on the Ethereum blockchain.
- Blockchain for Business -- (EdX) -- An Introduction to Hyperledger Technologies -- This course will introduce the power of distributed ledger technologies with a brief overview of Hyperledger and introductions to key frameworks.
- Law and Business of Bitcoin and Cryptocurrencies -- (NYU.edu) -- This course is offered by the NYU Law School and Stern School of Business. It provides an overview of the complex legal and business issues surrounding the implementation of bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies in the marketplace.
- Innovation and Cryptoventures -- (Duke University) -- This is a new course from Duke University that helps students to understand disruptive technologies and to assess the implications on how business will be conducted in the future. Much course focus is on the network that is growing behind bitcoin and the many ventures that are capitalizing on it.
- Bitcoin Engineering -- (Stanford University) -- This lab course from Stanford University focuses on how to build Bitcoin enabled applications. You will learn how to rewire Internet services on the basis of Bitcoin.
- Blockchain for Technical Executives and Analysts -- (B9lab) -- This course is geared to teach technical decision makers and CTOs about the basics of blockchain technologies. It will introduce every that is needed to understand the technology, smart contracts, and the technical and social frameworks that undergird the technology.
- The ULTIMATE Bitcoin and Blockchain Course -- (Udemy) -- This is an introductory course about blockchain, bitcoin and cryptocurrencies. You will understand how to make money through mining cryptocurrencies and the importance of cryptocurrencies in our financial future.
- Learn Bitcoin and Ethereum -- (OneMonth) -- This is one of the top self-paced online cryptocurrency courses today. You will learn how to get started with investing in Bitcoin, Ethereum and blockchain. You will learn how to send and receive Bitcoin, as well as how to set up a Trezor for cold wallet security.
- Cryptocurrencies, Blockchains and Smart Contracts -- (Stanford University) -- This introductory course at Stanford University covers all basic aspects of cryptocurrencies, such as distributed consensus, blockchains, smart contracts and applications.