There are many inspiring quotes to lean on that can remind us of this as we dive headlong into the future, but here are my favorites at the moment -- I recommend reflecting on them as prepare for 2022.
1. "Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." -- The Dalai Lama
2. "Unexpected kindness is the most powerful, least costly, and most underrated agent of human change." -- Bob Kerrey
3. "Kindness begins with the understanding that we all struggle." -- Charles Glassman
4. "There is no such thing as a small act of kindness. Every act creates a ripple with no logical end." -- Scott Adams
5. "Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around." -- Leo Buscaglia
6. "Do things for people not because of who they are or what they do in return, but because of who you are." -- Harold S. Kushner
7. "Compassion bring us to a stop, and for a moment we rise about ourselves." -- Mason Cooley
8. "If compassion does not include yourself, it is incomplete." -- Jack Kornfield
9. "To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world." -- Dr. Seuss
10. "Learning to stand in somebody else's shoes, to see through their eyes, that's how peace begins." -- Barack Obama
If you're anything like me, a momentary reflection on these is not enough. So, I put them in places where I work and go about my day -- small reminders of what it means to live compassionately, even when days are tough.
Put a sticky note on your computer screen, a few quotes on your refrigerator, a sign above your office. Make it a practice not just to think about kindness, but to practice it year-round. That's how we'll get through the tough times.