In 1971, Congresswoman Bella Abzug helped introduce Women's Equality Day. While we've come so far, there is still plenty of work to be done. Here are some quotes to make us reflect on the importance of gender equality:
- "We've begun to raise daughters more like sons... but few have the courage to raise our sons more like our daughters."
― Gloria Steinem
- "A woman is human.
She is not better, wiser, stronger, more intelligent, more creative, or more responsible than a man.
Likewise, she is never less.
Equality is a given.
A woman is human."
― Vera Nazarian, The Perpetual Calendar of Inspiration
- "How important it is for us to recognize and celebrate our heroes and she-roes!"
― Maya Angelou
- "We must raise both the ceiling and the floor."
― Sheryl Sandberg, Lean In: Women, Work, and the Will to Lead
- "Don't let anyone tell you what you can and can't do or achieve. Do what you want to do and be who you want to be. Just encourage and include each other, don't ostracize the gender in front of you."
― Emma Watson
- "Some men are so indoctrinated that they sincerely believe that other than cooking and cleaning the only thing that a woman can do better than them is being a woman."
― Mokokoma Mokhonoana
- "Girls are weighed down by restrictions, boys with demands - two equally harmful disciplines."
― Simone de Beauvoir
- "Gender equality is more than a goal in itself. It is a precondition for meeting the challenge of reducing poverty, promoting sustainable development and building good governance."
-- Kofi Annan
- "Men are not from Mars and women are not from Venus instead we are all people. Deal with it."
― Shahla Khan, Friends With Benefits: Rethinking Friendship, Dating & Violence
- "Men, their rights, and nothing more; women, their rights, and nothing less."
― Susan B. Anthony
- "The climb is different even though the destination is same. Ultimately it all depends on 'What I Want' which determine success.
And 'I' is gender neutral!"
― Anuranjita Kumar, Can I have it all?
- "Men--I would like to take this opportunity to extend your formal invitation. Gender equality is your issue too."
― Emma Watson
Happy Women's Equality Day to all; here's to all the progress we've made to date, and here's looking forward to the work we'll do to champion equality and fairness in the 45 years to come.