The world lost one of the tech industry's most impressive figures when Andy Grove passed away on March 21, 2016. Impressively, Grove fled Nazi and Soviet oppression to rise to the pinnacles of the tech world becoming chairman and CEO of Intel.
Besides his business acumen, Grove was known for being incredibly insightful and generous in giving with respect to his time, so it's probably not a surprise that he was the source of quite a few memorable quotes over the years. Here are just a few of my favorites:
- Just as you would not permit a fellow employee to steal a piece of office equipment worth $2,000, you shouldn't let anyone walk away with the time of his fellow managers.
- Success breeds complacency. Complacency breeds failure. Only the paranoid survive.
- Not all problems have a technological answer, but when they do, that is the more lasting solution.
- The Internet doesn't change everything. It doesn't change supply and demand.
- Leaders have to act more quickly today. The pressure comes much faster.
- Just as we could have rode into the sunset, along came the Internet, and it tripled the significance of the PC.
- Give me a turbulent world as opposed to a quiet world and I'll take the turbulent one.
- Bad companies are destroyed by crisis, Good companies survive them, Great companies are improved by them.
- There are so many people working so hard and achieving so little.
- Technology happens, it's not good, it's not bad. Is steel good or bad?
- Your career is your business, and you are its CEO.
- I think it is very important for you to do two things: act on your temporary conviction as if it was a real conviction; and when you realize that you are wrong, correct course very quickly
- Try not to get too depressed in the part of the journey, because there's a professional responsibility. If you are depressed, you can't motivate your staff to extraordinary measures. So you have to keep your own spirits up even though you well understand that you don't know what you're doing.
Of course, as I mentioned, these are just a few of many standout Andy Grove quotes. When you have a moment, I encourage you to look up some others - this list could have easily gone past 50.