In the spirit of giving, why not give a gift that gives back? Here are eight social enterprises that are giving gifts of hearing, hydration, and jobs to those impacted by homelessness or in developing nations with every purchase you make. The perfect excuse to give even more this holiday season!
1) Do Amore is improving upon one of the oldest traditions in the world: wedding rings. If a proposal is in your plans for the holidays, Do Amore rings are made in the USA from recycled precious metals and ethically sourced gemstones and diamonds. Plus, every ring purchased gives two people in a developing country access to clean water through charity:water. Do Amore also just launched a new product that captures a child's footprint on a pendant. The perfect gift for new parents!
2) The Giving Keys is a jewelry company based in Los Angeles that exists to employ people who have been affected by homelessness. Much more than just a stylish key necklace, each piece bears an inspiring word that empowers the wearer. These words are meant to be embraced, then given away to the person who needs the message more than them. To date, The Giving Keys has created 30 jobs for those affected by homelessness, received over 1,500 pay it forward stories, and changed over 300,000 lives with affirmative words that empower transformation.
3) Krochet Kids intl. is a non-profit lifestyle and apparel brand that exists to empower people to rise above poverty. They employ vulnerable women in Peru and Uganda and provide them with a job, mentorship, and education in order to equip them with the skills and resources they need to be self-sufficient. Every product made by KK intl., from headwear to apparel and accessories, is made from high-quality materials and is hand-signed by the woman who made it.
4) LSTN Sound Co. makes high quality headphones, ear buds and speakers out of real, beautiful wood. Critically and commercially lauded with thousands of 5 star reviews for their excellent sound quality and design, this Los Angeles based company is more than just a pretty face. Proceeds from every purchase go to giving the gift of hearing through Starkey Hearing Foundation. LSTN has helped over 20,000 people hear for the first time in 8 countries so far. The perfect gift for the music lover in your life!
5) Nisolo is a Nashville-based lifestyle brand focused on social impact. The brand ethically sources products in a manner that positively impacts consumers and producers. For producers, Nisolo offers skills training and safe working conditions, facilitates international market access, and ensures beyond fair trade wages. For consumers, Nisolo's handmade, classic shoes, jewelry and more offer superior design, effortless style, and the ability for consumers to improve livelihoods through their purchases.
6) Soma created the first 100% sustainable water filter with coconut shell carbon and plant-based casing, resulting in the purest tasting water. Working in partnership with charity: water, Soma's pitcher and carafe marry functionality and design to keep you hydrated. Last holiday, Soma provided clean water to about 1,000 people in Cambodia. This year, Soma plans to double that, as for every [black] pitcher purchased, $15 will be donated to charity: water to support their water projects in Bangladesh.
7) Stone + Cloth creates sound and stylish backpacks and accessories, all of which are made in USA. With a commitment to give back, Stone & Cloth helps support education for children in need through a partnership with non-profit Knock Foundation in Tanzania, Africa.
8) Yellow Leaf Hammocks give the gift of relaxation with a "ridiculously comfy" . Each hammock and hanging chair is 100% hand woven by artisans in rural Thailand. By directly creating sustainable high-wage jobs for mothers, Yellow Leaf is breaking the cycle of extreme poverty, debt slavery and slash & burn within hill tribe communities. Kick back in a breezy, shockingly soft hammock and enjoy a stress-free oasis with a positive impact!