Some things go in one ear and right out the other. But when you hear just the right message, at the right moment, and from the right person, it sticks with you.
Each fall, I go looking for that message. As end-of-year projects loom and the days get shorter, I need a reminder that good things take time. Relationships aren't built by arbitrary deadlines. HR needs take priority over holiday plans. Tax deadlines don't shift based on how ready you are.
When I need that extra push, I listen to motivational speeches and read quotes that inspire me. Here are some of my favorites:
1. "There are two types of people who will tell you that you cannot make a difference in this world: those who are afraid to try, and those who are afraid you will succeed." - Ray Goforth
2. "We may encounter many defeats but we must not be defeated." - Maya Angelou
3. "Stop chasing the money and start chasing the passion." - Tony Hsieh
4. "If you are not willing to risk the usual, you will have to settle for the ordinary." - Jim Rohn
5. "Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Wishing is not enough; we must do." - Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe
6. "Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right." - Henry Ford
7. "Security is mostly a superstition. Life Is either a daring adventure or nothing." - Helen Keller
8. "Creativity is intelligence having fun." - Albert Einstein
9. "Do what you can with all you have, wherever you are." - Theodore Roosevelt
10. "What you lack in talent can be made up with desire, hustle, and giving 110% all the time." - Don Zimmer
11. "People who succeed have momentum. The more they succeed, the more they want to succeed, and the more they find a way to succeed. Similarly, when someone is failing, the tendency is to get on a downward spiral that can even become a self-fulfilling prophecy." - Tony Robbins
12. "If you are working on something that you really care about, you don't have to be pushed. The vision pulls you." - Steve Jobs
13. "Success is not final; failure is not fatal: It is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill
14. "Success seems to be connected with action. Successful people keep moving. They make mistakes, but they don't quit." - Conrad Hilton
15. "The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing." - Walt Disney
16. "Don't let yesterday take up too much of today." - Will Rogers
17. "It's not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up." - Vince Lombardi
18. "Failure will never overtake me if my determination to succeed is strong enough." - Og Mandino
19. "Develop an 'attitude of gratitude.' Say thank you to everyone you meet for everything they do for you." - Brian Tracy
20. "You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream." - C.S. Lewis
Refreshing, aren't they? Short of bringing in guest speakers, reading inspirational quotes is one of the best ways to stay motivated. Share them with your team, especially on those long winter days, and you'll see everyone's spirits improve.